Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disc Brake Replacement, need special tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THe special tool is for the type of calipers that have the emergency brake built in to them. Panthers use a little pair of drum brake shoes inside the rotor, so no need for the tool. I bought one of those to do my mom's Blazer, same setup as the panther, no tool needed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Some of the newer cars will need a tool. My probe and other mazda designs have rear calipers that have a set screw behind them that needs to be loosened, and I believe other designs are coarsely threaded into the bore.
      -Matt
      1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

my honda had those screw-in rear calipers. i think they suck. and yea, why buy a 10-12 dollar tool when a 5 dollar C-clamp works jus as well? unless you get into 4-piston calipers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          THe special tool is for the type of calipers that have the emergency brake built in to them. Panthers use a little pair of drum brake shoes inside the rotor, so no need for the tool. I bought one of those to do my mom's Blazer, same setup as the panther, no tool needed.
          Yep, that tool would be needed for Mustang and Mark VII and Mark VIII rear calipers, but not Panthers - our rear calipers are just a downsized version of the fronts, no functional differences at all.

Comment

Mustangs actually have drum rear brakes, at least on the Fox versions. The Mark calipers do use the screwey dealie tho. Later model Mark VII brakes are actually Taurus rear calipers. Not a clue what the VIII uses, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if its either Tbird or Taurus.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X