Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if your car has limited slip dif??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PosiTraction was the term used by Chevrolet to denote a clutch-type limited slip differential.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thanks.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

So if I have A JY on the sticker, it's an open diff.

Can I still use synthetic oil?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Those codes only apply to boxes and IIRC early aeros.

You can run syn if you want to.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Would JY be open?

So IO would be ok with synthetic 75 w 90 I think it has LS written on the mobil bottle

Is the torque spec the same as a box panther, 15 ft-lbs? for the diff cover
            "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
            -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

YES either way.

Look for the "S" spring when you open it. That is"posi"tive confirmation as I think Gadget mentioned. If you have posi it may very well need new a new clutch set.

If you are changing the oil, check the outer wheel bearings. remove brake (drum?) and any needed springs or shoes. Lift the axle straight up where it comes out of the housing. There should be about no play up and down. In and out of the housing is fine. If you have up and down play, basically you need new axles, bearings and seals.

If there is a good amount of metal in the bottom of the diff housing I suggest you remove the axles as well just to clean the tubes. If the bottom of the housing is reasonably free of metal and you have no outer up and down axle play and you don't need clutches. put it back together and fill it. 1.9 Qts.

You have a choice, gasket or RTV. If you use RTV, which I like, you should put on the RTV, let it dry 1/4 or 1/2 hr? then install and torque the cover. Let dry before filling.

Good luck.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
              X