No announcement yet.

Brake light comes on occasionally and brakes feel spongy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also heard that this means that something on the brake system is wearing out, such as the pads, and once you get them replaced, all the old fluid comes back up and pushes everything out.

Not sure what to do but I'd rather top it off anyway, I would think then I would get some of my braking power back. And then if the pads end up being bad, I can just get one of those turkey baster things and put the fluid back to where it was or something like that.
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Comment

if the pads are replaced properly... you're supposed to bleed the brakes so that the fluid does not back-fill the reservoir and top it off with new fluid. I don't personally know anyone that actually does that, but that's the way it's supposed to be done. The only real way to make sure the pads/shoes are good is to look at them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by j5689 View Post
        I've also heard that this means that something on the brake system is wearing out, such as the pads, and once you get them replaced, all the old fluid comes back up and pushes everything out.

Not sure what to do but I'd rather top it off anyway, I would think then I would get some of my braking power back. And then if the pads end up being bad, I can just get one of those turkey baster things and put the fluid back to where it was or something like that.

yeah, when your old pads and rotors wear, the piston is pushed out further so it looks like you're low on fluid. before i replaced my brakes i noticed the fluid was a little low so i topped it off to the MAX line, and after the new brakes went on it was way up at the top of the reservoir. I didn't bleed the brakes but I should have...sucked all of the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and filled it back up with DOT3
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
          yeah, when your old pads and rotors wear, the piston is pushed out further so it looks like you're low on fluid. before i replaced my brakes i noticed the fluid was a little low so i topped it off to the MAX line, and after the new brakes went on it was way up at the top of the reservoir. I didn't bleed the brakes but I should have...sucked all of the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and filled it back up with DOT3
          That sounds like a good enough plan if it works the same way for me

So I'm guessing that means the reservoir only needs to be at least half full while you're actually changing the brakes and not all the time?

Comment

as long as it never runs dry, then you get air in the lines and you WILL need to bleed the brakes. if you top it off to the MAX line before you change the pads/rotors, take some back fluid out before you push the pistons down with your C clamp and put the cap back on the reservoir. just never let it get completely empty.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Just drove down to Track Auto and got some Valvoline DOT 3&4 fluid for $3.50, but it says synthetic on it I noticed, and so does everything else in the brake fluid section, even the DOT 3 only stuff. But it still says Recommended for ABS which I know DOT 5(real synthetic) isn't supposed to be used with. Is this stuff O.K. to use for my car?

Also can I keep the extra or will it be too contaminated with air by then?

And is there I certain method to putting it in with a certain tool or can I just dump some in straight from the bottle?

Comment

from the bottle into the resivoir. just dont go over the max line lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  from the bottle into the resivoir. just dont go over the max line lol
                  Very good, I'll do it tomorrow when I can actually see what I'm doing, lol

Comment

I haven't driven the car since I put the fluid in but according to the inspection sheet the brakes themselves passed but the light was still coming on. It's categorized as Brake Warning light on the sheet if that matters at all.

It could also be referring to the E-Brake light which is written on unofficial list as something I need

Comment

Working...
                    X