3.55 gears???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
    I think I'm gonna have to swap in springs. My compressor sounds like a lawnmower. It's probably burning itself out by keeping that air bag filled up.

Is it really that easy to swap in coil springs in place of the air bags?

Also are there springs from other models or years (other than 92-10 Aeros/Whales) that will fit on a 98 MGM?? I'd like something stiffer/more heavy duty. Or is there a good place to get better springs from?
    I had a 97 Grand Marquis I sold, had some spare coils i gave to my friend and he put them in his 99 no problem. I'm not 100% sure but it woudlnt suprise me if anything fit from older years. The interceptors had stiffer suspension, could try and find some of there parts. I dont have anything special online to get parts or anything like that so i coudlnt tell you, i prefer to get parts in person not on the internet. Its not a hard job at all though, it was almost a plug and play type deal wiht just taking out the air bags and stuff, if you have the right tools and someone who knows what there doing then you'll be fine.
    79 Grand Marquis

Comment

I got HPP bags from the pull and pay for like 30 each. They're super easy to replace. Another thing I once noticed is I used to park on an uneven surface and that would cause the car to sit uneven when it was brought to a level surface. Could this be the case for you? I wouldn't puss out and bail on air ride the way so many others do. You'll sag a lot worse to pull anything without that air ride. So back to the original topic, just grab that whole axle and slap it in.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Yeah I did some more looking and brand new bags aren't horribly expensive... like $90 ea (2 airbags, compressor, dryer & 2 solenoids combo is $365). But if I could just find a set of bags, a compressor, and a CVPI/HPP axle in a parts yard I'm sure I'd be sittin pretty for a decent price.
        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

... a CVPI/HPP axle in a parts yard I'm sure I'd be sittin pretty for a decent price.
          Jantz's in Kenosha has one for $400.

Comment

Found an axle with a DK Code (trac-loc 3.55) from a 2000 CVPI for $175!! Going to look at it this week!
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Found an axle with a DK Code (trac-loc 3.55) from a 2000 CVPI for $175!! Going to look at it this week!
              $175 is definitely worth it for a donor axle. Check the shafts for bearing damage and see if the clutches are still tight ....

Comment

Working...
              X