No announcement yet.

5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you need to pull the engine for? Lol. Can swap Cam in car.

Comment

pull engine... or pull AC... pull the engine, don't need more parts... pull AC, gotta get dryer/accumulator, expansion valve, refrigerant and oil. Plus I don't really have the ability to work on anything that's going to take up more than one day with that car. I can swap the upper intake easy enough... and injectors aren't that bad either... repinning the harness would be a little tedious, but probably won't be bad... but replacing a cam would take minumum a few days since there's soooo much crap that has to be removed/replaced to even get to it. Even if I opt to remove the AC/RAD to get at it... it would still take too much time. I'd have to take a week off from work to allow enough troubleshooting time as well. I really am debating just selling the parts I have and waiting until I can build a complete engine for a total swap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        pull engine... or pull AC... pull the engine, don't need more parts... pull AC, gotta get dryer/accumulator, expansion valve, refrigerant and oil. Plus I don't really have the ability to work on anything that's going to take up more than one day with that car. I can swap the upper intake easy enough... and injectors aren't that bad either... repinning the harness would be a little tedious, but probably won't be bad... but replacing a cam would take minumum a few days since there's soooo much crap that has to be removed/replaced to even get to it. Even if I opt to remove the AC/RAD to get at it... it would still take too much time. I'd have to take a week off from work to allow enough troubleshooting time as well. I really am debating just selling the parts I have and waiting until I can build a complete engine for a total swap.

I did the head and cam swap in my 87 in around 4-5 hours, in the down time between two jobs....With hand tools. Granted my car didn't have smog pump or AC
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

you dont have to discharge the ac, you lay a blanket on the right fender and lay the condensor and compressor on the fender

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, I pulled the front end off of my car after I smashed it into a tree. The Condensor was bent to shit, but it still held the AC charge. There was enough hose to allow me to hang the condensor over the side of the car. I didn't replace the condensor until I was ready to put the new front end on.

And all you'd really need is an accumulator if it was apart before and a recharge if you actually took the system apart.
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I'd still replace the expansion valve if I took it apart since that's where crap usually collects.

good to know it can be done that way. my main issue is getting the damn fan on and off. takes me 2-3 hours just doing that. Those fan bolts suck. Took me 7 hours just to change the water pump on my car. I would guess that with the radiator/condensor/grill out of the way it would be way easier to get stuff off. The rest of my issue with it is that I would rather have forged internals for my eventual TT project. Best way to do that is just build it and throw it in via a full swap. I also wish they made steel core rubber gaskets for water pumps (if they do... let me know... I'll save the info for the serious build... if I ever get to it). I'd rather put some form of rubber/permadry gasket on every surface I can instead of paper/cork. I really do wanna go super big under the hood. Dunno what I wanna do about a trans at the time though. more daydreaming though

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Wat. The fan takes like 5 minutes to take off. And if all your doing is throwing an HO upper on, then why are you even touching the computer?
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Wat. The fan takes like 5 minutes to take off. And if all your doing is throwing an HO upper on, then why are you even touching the computer?
                  he was thinking of doing everything (including injectors and TB) for an HO swap except for the cam.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

and no... the fan does not take just 5 minutes. with a box end wrench (the only tool I have that fits in there) and those f'n fan bolts that are an inch too long... it takes me about 15 minutes per bolt for the first 2. the second 2 come out easier though. The whole time, my back is generally unhappy with the position too, so I have to take frequent brakes to keep my back from giving out on me. This may be the main issue. I love to wrench on the cars... but my back doesn't... and my back wins.

Comment

I leave the belt on until the bolts are broken.
                      And the blades moving separate of the pump shaft makes it better!

Comment

so do I. My bolts are just bugger tight for the last half inch.

Comment

Did you undo the belt when you were ready to take it off?

Comment

Oh...

For a second there I thought this was a thread about Tom deciding to do a 5 speed swap or not.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                              Oh...

For a second there I thought this was a thread about Tom deciding to do a 5 speed swap or not.
                              You're right.

DO IT! I say this because if you get around to doing it, that means that the truck is done! And I really wanna see that F100 done!

Comment

Irrelevant to the thread posts are irrelevant.

Get out!

And eventually I want to do a 5 speed swap. I don't see it happening right now of course, but it will make the car so much more fun
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X