Gear ratio/posi trac ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear ratio/posi trac ??

Where can i locate the info to for my gear ratio and if i have limited slip or posi trac.Im going to be buying my 3.55 gears soon and need to know if i have posi trac or not,its a 98 grand marquis and i do have traction contol.

the driver door tag should have the code but the tag on the pumpkin might be better, I have heard the door tag could be wrong. for instance if the rear was changed. Also jacking the car up & spinning the wheels by hand will tell you. If you have posi they spin in the same direction.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

So where would i input this code??

Comment

No input, just post it here or look it up on the interweb. Also goodsamaritan has them in his sig. I believe it is a one digit alpha/numeric code. On the tag the ratio my be in numerals but I do not know how the tag indicated posi.
        Last edited by jaywish; 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

This is easy. Just look at the tag thats bolted to the rear end cover plate. If it's a locking rear it will have a capitol "L" in the
          gear ratio listed.

It would say 2L73 or 3L08 or 3L27. If it's an open rear it won't have that L. And the tag will be stamped 2.73, 3.08,3.27 or
          whatever the gear ratio is in your car.

Comment

Sounds like a plan man,thanks guys.

Comment

Just got my 3.55 gears,and posi unit in so im damn eager to get this on..cannot wait!!!

Comment

Or the sticky I made, at the top of this page, labeled "Axle Codes"
                Checking the differential is always your best bet. My door sticker said my Lincoln had locking 3.55s. The build sheet said open 3.27s, and the tag on the diff said 3 08 for open 3.08s.
                Crawl under and check it out!

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Got my t-lok and 3.55 gears set up this week,im really impressed with the extra get up and go she has now..the shimming part of it was a bit tricky,but as of now no whine at all,and she barks 2nd with no problems.

Comment

Did you get the correct gear for the VSS?

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

well it had a 16 tooth one,i put a 18 tooth one in that's all i had at the time,im not sure how bad its off i have a gps im going to compare my speedo with..but im getting a whine now at deceleration so im not sure if it is shimmed perfect..i believe its @ .050 right now..pain in the ass.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

you'll probably need the 19 or 21 tooth gear to get it accurate again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yea,its still about 9mph off..one tooth should be equivalent to 5mph, does that sound about right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

one tooth... up to 19... then it jumps to 21... there is no 20. There is also no linear fit. there area calculators to figure out what you need.

like this one: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X