Looser than a Christmas goose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looser than a Christmas goose

OK sports fans here we go. My '05 is handling like a Radio Flyer Wagon with 4 loose wheels. I can hold on to her doing 70 but any faster makes chocolate colored streaks appear in my tighty whiteys!

She has never had an alignment. She really could use new shocks, that much I know. She's got 92+K on the odometer.

I've lurked around at ADTR and CrownVic.net and found that there is still a company making custom "sporty" springs for the Panther and, I am considering those when I can afford to get them and the shocks/struts (whichever/whatever they're called) at nearly the same time.

What else do I need to look into? Bushings? Anyone where I can get squeakys (my code name for Urethane) ?

I know this Panther will NEVER out handle a Prancing Pony Ferrari but, a little less body roll would be nice.
    Nothing makes me smile more than a cougar in my Panther

Kristal - 2005 Grand Marquis GS

Killin' zombies and grillin' veggie burgers, it's kinda my thing you know? - Bozowolf

I've been getting parts together for a suspension overhaul on my 03. I'm going with cop KYB Gas A Justs front and rear.

I couldn't find a source for poly front bushings either. If springs and shocks are on the menu then new front strut cushions (I'd prefer Motorcraft but they're a fortune, I'm using Monroe 907945s) and top strut bushings (I'm using KYB SM5382). There's rear shock bushings too (Motorcraft AD1026).

I also plan to swap both sway bars with cop units and use greaseable poly sway bar bushings. I expect a large improvement from it! I'll bet this is the single most cost effective upgrade. I hope

The aftermarket rear control arms and watts link are supposed to be awesome. Someday maybe.

Good luck! Fun.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

You can get urethane bushings from Energy Suspension.
      Also, Eaton makes springs for the Panthers. stock, 1" and 1.5" drop springs as well.
      I am going with KYB Gas-A-Justs as well.

Word.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

actually, the replacement Duralast bushings are poly now (or some damn nice rubber... much denser than original types were when new). Energy suspension makes bushing kits, but you need to re-use the shells, so removal of the entire control arm and burning or pressing out the old rubber is required. If the rear of your car is moving side to side excessively, check the watts link stud at the pumpkin. If that broke, nothing will help without fixing that. ADTR did a hardened stud buy from ARP and may have some left (but it's spendy) and it won't (read: shouldn't) break even with an aftermarket watts link.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can't find poly bushings for a 03+ on Energys' site - sure they make them for these lcas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZHJEkE-jSyKcqpBPskzzdTZg~~60_12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1272581

Pete
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Something is wrong. My worn-suspension 85, with the aero of a brick and no rear sway bar on 70 sidewall tires was stable at 90+. I think you're looking at repairs, not upgrades if it's sketchy at speed.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

bad shocks will make even good suspension feel like the most dangerous car on the road. I'd fix that first and then see if anything else needs done while I was doing that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

just looked up the bushings for the 05... and yeah... ES does NOT have those. It looks like you're going to have to get OE replacements or just live with what's on there. Though, truthfully, I'd be surprised if the bushings are actually bad on an 05 without having 200+K miles on it. If the shocks are bouncy, replace those with some quality shocks and I would wager you'd be good to go.

Comment

have you checked out the steering? i just had to replace the steering gearbox on my 01 GM with 145K miles

Comment

2003 and newer Panther chassis cars have rack and pinion steering.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                    X