Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brake Upgrade Need Performance Pad Suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brake Upgrade Need Performance Pad Suggestions.

I have upgraded my front brakes to the late model 12.375 discs, but I still don't think it's stopping like it should be capable of. I'm running some "Centric" brand semi-metallic pads off RockAuto for $12 but I think a performance pad will make the entire difference. I was told that Hawk Pads are excellent by a circle track racer and I see that ADTR carries them as well. I am open to any and all front and rear pad suggestions. Cost effective would be ideal, but I would pay extra for a pad that is going to perform better considering I just spent $900 on converting to big brakes I'm not going to skimp on pad material. Any opinions on rotor stopping distance, rotor wear, pad life etc. Please advise.
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

I've had the same Performance Friction pads on my car for a lot of years now. They went on in 2007 I think, and when I pulled them last summer there was still something like 50% pad left and the rotors are in perfect condition. Thats about 60k miles of driving. THey aren't particularly dusty, don't make noise, an seem to work just fine. I'd buy them again.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Raybestos make some high performance police pads. On police tranig courses they hacve bee cought on fire and kept going. THEY ALSO HAVE SPECIAL LOADED ONLY CALIPERS WITH SPECIAL SILICONE SEELS and boots. Have linked to were I purchased them at fleet prices but doubt if anybody listens
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Hmm. Well, i see the test video on the Performance Friction pads. Seem like the guys driving are pretty impressed.
        87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
        Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Now Autozone doesn't list the Performance Friction brand.

Comment

ROK Brothers was formed in 1993 by Roger and Ryan O'Kane. Having started in a 10x10 storage facility in Crofton, MD with a single S10 pick-up, the company has grown to a national selling organization selling from Washington State, to Texas, up to Maine and down to Florida.

Used the Raybestos SS pads withthe PI calipers on Creamy they stopped great and were still good to go after 100K on them

Comment

Curently using some 75.00 pads (susposed to be the shit) on my dually with sloted roters and they dont do as well as the factory pads did.
              Should look upo to see what Raybestos hads. Thier stuff and deifferent grades can be difficult to find but never been dissatisfied.

Comment

Screw it. Ebay has em for cheap!

Comment

heads up on the pads on the truck are not Raybestos but high end Centrics or such and were at a discount.

Cheepes usally have high dust issues.

Comment

Just some general info on pads.

Performance/racing pads Work great when they are hot. Not good at all when they are not hot. So they are good for autocross but not good for regular DD.

Factory pads are aggressive at ambient temps. Most general driving involves needing the brakes when they are cold. They tend to fade at high temps as they are biased to general driving needs which is not normally aggressive stop after aggressive stop etc. So very good for the 1st stop or two. not that great for repeated hard stops. Still this is probably a fine choice for a DD vehicle.

There are also pads like the Centric Extended wear pads. They are designed to have a flat fade curve.
                    Not the best at cold, but better than racing pads.
                    Not the best at hot, but better than OEM style pads.

Also very often better braking performance can be had by adjusting the rear brakes if you still have drums. Try that first.
                    Last edited by jaywish; 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have 00 P71 rear discs and calipers. So there will be no adjustment there. I am curious to see if the matching late model master cylinder improves the application of the rears as it has been reported to by Gadget and others. I understand there is a trade off amongst most pad compounds, but from what I see in the Performance Friction demo video on the Crown Vic, the drivers were very impressed. Let's put it this way, I have owned a 2004 Mustang Cobra with the 13" fronts and disc rears. I felt very confident in my stopping ability at all speeds because of the power of that braking system. I understand vehicle dynamics and weight, but there is no reason this thing doesn't pull this car to a stop better than it currently does given the fact that it has very powerful calipers and large rotors in the front as well as good rear discs and a suspension that can control it. There has to be a pad that can provide better stopping, and I am willing to bet that the master cylinder will make a big difference. If that doesn't get me what I expect, then I will experiment with a proportioning valve.

Comment

Heads up all pads shoes are crap once asbestos was outlawed. Thats why brakes got bigger and wheels got bigger.
                        Pads on my truck are for HD trucs like a F350 dually.
                        Pads currently on Creamy second best dusty ass NAPA offers. not bad but not equall to low dust SS Raybestos for stopping in any conditions.

Comment

I have the original master. I gutted and reamed out the rear brake restrictor/pressure retainer and added an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brakes. I have the adjustable valve all the way open.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Whos adjuster did you use some do more than others. Also if its a drum disc combo a residual pressure valve should be used I use a 10PSI Willwood unit

Comment

It is disk/disk so I removed/defeated the residual pressure valve it the rear restrictor. It is a Wilwood adjustable valve.
                              Probably should have lubed it with plumbers grease as it is getting very stiff after just a couple of winters. I turn it every few months to keep it from freezing up but it is getting progressively harder.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X