Upgrading only the Rear Sway Bar on a '95 Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading only the Rear Sway Bar on a '95 Marquis GS

I was looking at replacing the puny rear sway bar on my Budget Beast... This is along with a complete suspension rebuild.

What's the diameter of my current front/rear sway bars? (I'd measure but I am out of state)
    Can I get away with replacing only the rear, at least for for now if not permanently? I understand this depends on which sway bar I end up choosing, balance and so on.
    Can I use a Marauder Rear Sway Bar? (The one that I heard on other forums may work depending on year, costs significantly less than the Addco 650. I believe the Addco is thicker than the Marauder's coming it at One Inch.)

Let me know if you have an answer for my q's or have even better suggestions for the upgrade OR ANY OTHER upgrades you can point me at. I will post a write up of my Marquis once the work begins. Thanks in advance!
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis.

You will need to measure as there are 3 possible bars for the front and 2 for the rear IIRC.
    You might be able to get away with just a rear bar upgrade if you have the medium front bar and skinny rear bar.
    Marauder bar is a direct swap for 03+. I don't think it will work with 92-02 as it may be too wide... but I'm definitely NOT sure about that. It may work fine.

Suggestions:
    Poly bushings all around.
    Police spec shocks up front. KYB Gas-a-just is a preferred option. I wish there were more options for the rear. Would be nice to have something between the soft shocks and truck shocks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      You will need to measure as there are 3 possible bars for the front and 2 for the rear IIRC.
      You might be able to get away with just a rear bar upgrade if you have the medium front bar and skinny rear bar.
      Marauder bar is a direct swap for 03+. I don't think it will work with 92-02 as it may be too wide... but I'm definitely NOT sure about that. It may work fine.

Suggestions:
      Poly bushings all around.
      Police spec shocks up front. KYB Gas-a-just is a preferred option. I wish there were more options for the rear. Would be nice to have something between the soft shocks and truck shocks.
      Asked my friend to measure the bars when he had time. He measured the rear and got 17mm but completely forgot to do the front . I am installing Energy Suspension control arm bushings for both the front and rear, but was waiting on purchasing poly sway bar bushings until I figure out what I want to replace them with.. Went with Raybestos Pro(Made in USA) and Moog(Made in Mexico) to put on the stock sway bars for the time being.

I'll def consider the springs. I already replaced the shocks with Monroe Sensa Tracs because I got them at a significant deal, I am trying to keep the amount invested in this car to a minimum intentionally. Bought her last December, $730, 58K Miles, a flat tire (Hole in sidewall) and passenger front window didn't work. My bud filled the tire with air and we stuck a fat nail in the hole in the sidewall to plug it and drove her home on the highway .

Comment

As sly said it is the combo that matters. I put the addco 1" on the rear of the 08 TC. It came with the stock Heavy duty front bar and a wimpy rear bar.

With good new tires and the new sway it rides like it is on rails. I have not pushed it to the point of failure yet so I don't know which will end will break free 1st with this setup.

The marauder bar also works well on the Marauder. I probably would have used that on the TC but the Addco happened to be cheaper at the time.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I decided on Addcos. Only because I got really lucky and found the Addco 509 Front Sway Bar for $160 instead of $260. I'll get the rear eventually and install them at the same time.

There's only one left at $160 so if anyone is interested PM me and I'll link it. I'd love to see a member save $100 like I did!

Anyone have a opinion on the adequacy of the Addco bushings? Should I replace them with Energy Poly, or just use the Addco Urethane ones that come with the sway bar? If I do use them, should I use the Energy Formula 5, it seems like I should.

Gonna be like a new car when she's done. A GM that drives and handles like a sports car, for sure. I have so many parts lying around waiting to be put in.

Comment

Working...
          X