Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger Rims?

Hey folks!

Ok, so from what I have researched and from what some folks have said to me, Ford Ranger rims (as long as they aren't from a later model 4x4) will fit on my 1997 CV. My understanding is the 2WD rims have a low enough offset (12ish mm?) that they will work.

Take a look at these.

It looks to me like they would fit my application, as the centres look low enough in the rim. Plus they already have the right size tires on them.

I am looking at some HPP rims today, so it may not even be an issue, but I want a backup plan in case the tires on them are absolute garbage. (The fellow selling them says they would probably be good for another year or two... my experience tells me that this is usually sales code for rubbish tires).

My main goal is decent all seasons, so 16" or 15" doesn't matter to me.

Alternatively, I know some guys have run turbines on Aeros but damned if I can find any pics. Anyone have links?? That's another possibility I'm thinking on.

As always, thanks for any wisdom that is shared!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Ad must have been pulled as I'm only getting a general list of parts.
    But Ranger rims will work fine.

Alex.

Comment

Your link no work. Most Ranger/pre 02 Explorer wheels fit well in terms of backspace and bolt pattern. Careful on the center hub hole. I have a 95 2wd Ranger and the hub size is smaller than my boxes. Got identical looking wheels from an Explorer in a junkyard; they fit the boxes perfect but are not hub centric on the Ranger.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

4x4 Ranger wheels fit. Not sure on hub pilot size, most likely they didn't pilot at all, but that's what the cone lug nuts are for anyways.

For turbines on an aero look up Kodachrome Wolf's reader's rides thread, IIRC he head his color-coded to the body color even.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Ok, so thinking I missed out on the back up set. The HPP rims I went to look at today weren't hpp rims. The tires weren't too great either... had a bit of cracking between the treads and one was flat. Didn't even look at the other side (they were still mounted on the car). Guy had two aero MGMs though, so he's alright.

Thanks for the lead on the turbines. I'll look it up!
          ************************************************** ******************************
          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            4x4 Ranger wheels fit. Not sure on hub pilot size, most likely they didn't pilot at all, but that's what the cone lug nuts are for anyways.

For turbines on an aero look up Kodachrome Wolf's reader's rides thread, IIRC he head his color-coded to the body color even.
            I haven't run turbines on my car, or at least yet. The color coded wheels were steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps. My wheels are black again since the red paint got considerably worn out and I haven't bothered to redo them yet.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Look in the Scott forum for the 92 MGM (says something like we are nuts in the thread). That had turbines.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                Look in the Scott forum for the 92 MGM (says something like we are nuts in the thread). That had turbines.
                Thanks for the tip! Found it... the 1992 5.0 swap. Cool car! And the rims look pretty good. I might keep my eyes peeled for a set of those... should have kept the ones from my old car If I go this route, it will be the third set to go through my hands!

Comment

Back on this kick again. Figure I should at least get some all seasons for the car and maybe refurb the HPP rims/get rid of the 3/4 snows and 1/4 all seasons currently on it. I have a line on a few options, I'll get back to this thread if there's any movement on any of them.

Comment

Does it snow a lot where you live? If so, and if you can swing it financially, run two sets of wheels - one with all-season tires and one with dedicated winters. In my experience there's no all-season tore out there that comes close to the traction a good dedicated winter tires provides when the white fluff starts flying around.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                      Does it snow a lot where you live? If so, and if you can swing it financially, run two sets of wheels - one with all-season tires and one with dedicated winters. In my experience there's no all-season tore out there that comes close to the traction a good dedicated winter tires provides when the white fluff starts flying around.
                      I commute through what's known in our area as the "snow belt", so yes it does snow a lot. I agree with you 100%. The current set up on my car when I bought it was dedicated snow tires, but on closer inspection after purchase I noticed that one of the tires on the back was an all season. Which was balls. The snow tires are in good shape, so I was going to put the two best ones on the back and buy two new ones for the front.

<rant>to all the guys that run snows on the backs only for acceleration traction, you're a safety hazard... where is most of the braking and all of the steering done? Hint: not the back wheels. Get 'em on all four corners people!</rant>

<rant>My favourite is people that tell me their all seasons have "good tread". Yeah, that's nice. Is it made out of cold weather specific compound that stays softer in lower temps with sipes designed to provide more points of contact on roads covered in ice melting under the friction of your tires? Put your hand flat on a table and push down on it while moving it along the table. Lots of friction. Now Do the same thing but through a little splash of water and watch your hand shoot across the surface. Now imagine you have the force of two tons being pushed down on it at greater speed... yeah, have fun with your "good tread". </rant>

Double rant all the way across the sky!!!!!!

As you can see, you're preaching to the choir. LOL

My situation being what it is now (car is for sale, I'm getting a hand-me-down from my brother who's moving out of Province and has access to a free car... he gets this one back when he comes home in a couple of years), I don't plan on running it in the winter if I'm keeping it. So I'm looking for a set of decent all seasons on some decent enough wheels for super duper cheap. Those can keep the car shod in rubber while I refinish the HPP rims. I won't need the snows on it currently, so they can go. I'll then get a good set of tires for the HPP rims, put those back on the car and either put snows on the temporary set or keep them for another project.

That is unless the guy coming to look at the car this weekend buys it, then it really won't be my issue to sort out. However, it would be nice to show prospective buyers that the car at least has a set of matching tires.

Anyway, fact is you speak the truth and if I were still planning on driving the car in the winter that is exactly what I would do.

Comment

Working...
                      X