Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find my tire tool, what else can I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I was completely wrong in what's wrong... I have access to all 5 lug nuts but the tire won't budge and I put all my weight and strength (6'5 265 310 bench) into it which made me think it was locked on some how. I guess I'll try the hammer method tomorrow and if that doesn't work I guess I'll limp it over to the closest tire store. Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Comment

usually a firm swift kick to the top of the tire (stomp down on the tire as it were) works for me... failing that... I've been known to put my floor jack under the control arm... get it just up to it... then bump the car back and forth... the jack catches the control arm as the wheel breaks free (THIS IS NOT A SAFE METHOD AND COULD BREAK STUFF, I'm a lucky guy and most of my shenanigans work for me).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, basically you have to put inwards or outwards (towards and away from the side of the car) force until it comes off. Pry bars, karate kicks (no seriously), rubber mallets, punches, and all manner of things get used in an autoshop for this.

Sorry for mis-reading, I thought it was a missing cover lock which is a fairly common issue.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
        X