Powersteering problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seneeb
    It looks like from an engine control standpoint it was. But it looks like not all of the control modules for non-engine/emission systems were integrated into the communications network
    Like how the 95 still uses the EDIS 8 module and the 96 up run off the PCM ??
    2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
    2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Reviving a very old thread:

My name is Rob. I have a 96 Town Car with power steering issues. The EVO seems to be working because when I disconnected from the actuator on the pump, all three assist settings were the same: full assist. However, even at full assist the wheel is hard to turn and the wheel does not return to center after making a turn in either direction. The steering feels dead compared to what it used to be. Any possible solutions? Thanks.

Comment

Obvious question, but is there fluid in the reservoir? How's the front end? If the ball joints are really loose or rusted, it may make the wheel not act right. General slop in the front end parts will do this too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd be inclined to thinking something is binding badly. Even if the pump totally shits the bed, the wheel should return to center. Could be that plus no caster in the alignment.
          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Wheel is returning now. Pretty much rebuilt the front end: ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman, idler, gear box (but not the pump). Wish I had done the pump as well.

I am convinced that there is a problem somewhere with the evo system. I managed to get a Rotunda 007-00041A tester. I do not have the manual, so I am looking for help operating the tester and the procedures to follow to pull codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Seneeb,

I would sure appreciate it if you would pm the tests to me.

Thanks,
              Rob

Comment

Couple questions on the Star II:

1. Do I set the MODE to FAST or SLOW?
                2. Set the tester to EEC-IV MCU or MECS?

I set tester to FAST, EEC-IV MCU

Recd code 10 (test started)
                Recd code 12 (no defects detected)

Opened, closed doors, turned wheel, etc.:
                Recd code 11 (test complete no DTC's)

Steering column shaft appears fine.

So now what?

Comment

I am tempted to just replace the ps pump. Do they come with the evo actuator? I've heard that they do not.

Comment

How about the linkages from the steering wheel to the box? If there is bind in the U joint, it may act like weak / no assist. A stuck shut EVO could also do this. PS pumps don't usually come with the EVO solenoid. It may be worth changing both.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any idea where I can get the EVO solenoid?

Comment

Working...
                      X