Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested rear end gears for a 99 police intceptor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all 99's have 3.55 RARs. I have seen both....I passed up buying some 99s because they were 3.27........thinking about the price of gas now....wish I did go 3.27

Comment

My personal experience.

I installed 3.55s in my '98 P71 several years ago and have never experienced vibrations at high speeds.

There was a noticeable difference going from 3.27s to 3.55s. However, I only swapped out the gears since I was already installing a trac-loc.
      The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
      The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
      The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

I was wrong i do have 355 in the rear i checked the other day my tag reads 355 88 so ima just put the loc in that scott has for me (lincolnmania)

Comment

Glad we could help.

-Michael

Comment

I wish I had 3.27's. These 2.73's are a bit lame. I do a decent amount of highway driving so 3.27's would be a good compromise I think.

I'm pretty sure its 2.73's I have. It holds 1st gear till like 45-50mph. The tag on the cover rusted to a blank piece of metal long ago. Totally unreadable. Threw it out when I changed my diff fluid a few weeks ago.
            1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
            124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

3.55 is a better highway gear. 3.27's didn't do shit for me...

Comment

I Had 3.08's in my 93CVPI which wasnt too bad at all. I recently changed out 3.08's in my t-bird to 3.73's which is awsome and i dont do too much highway running but it does rev up there some, 70mph = 2000rpm or so. but for the amount of trouble i shoulda done 4.10's
                1999 CVPI
                Old Rides
                1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
                1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbear3800
                  I wish I had 3.27's. These 2.73's are a bit lame. I do a decent amount of highway driving so 3.27's would be a good compromise I think.
                  I had 2.73's in mine and changed to 3.27's. Just bought some 3.73's and will put them in later this summer.

Silver Frost 02 Grand Marquis GS, 3.73 Trac-Loc,
                  Dual Exhaust w/ FRPP Megs, MM Airbox & 80mm MAF, SCT XCallibrator 2 from BOC,CVPI Rear Facia,
                  Pro Guard, Edelbrock IAS Shocks,Addco Sway bars

Comment

I get some vibration over 85 mph with my stock driveshaft and 3.55's. Unfortunately I still have to replace my plastic intake manifold, so the MMC driveshaft will have to wait.
                    2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbear3800

I'm pretty sure its 2.73's I have. It holds 1st gear till like 45-50mph. The tag on the cover rusted to a blank piece of metal long ago. Totally unreadable. Threw it out when I changed my diff fluid a few weeks ago.
                      My 97 CVPI has the 3.27s it will hold 1st to about 60, second to 90, and third to 120.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I have 3.08s and I will be switching to 3.73 Trac-loc and AL driveshaft/extended tailshaft.
                        My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

Originally posted by BigTomZ
                          Only '00 and '01 PI's came with 3.55 gears.

and some early 01 HPP's

Comment

Working...
                          X