No announcement yet.

Bucking AODE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips. Turns out it was the dreaded Ford shudder, apparently in an early stage. I decided to try the Dr. Tranny tube first. I figured it was the cheapest diagnosis. If it fixes the symptoms, I know what it is. And that's exactly what happened. Now, I guess I ought to go ahead and change out the fluid.

Jim Cavanaugh
    93 Crown Victoria LX

Comment

Thats what i did Jp & shes a champ now!

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

i went to pick this up today, and after reading the package it says not for use on ford transmissions..
        Originally posted by sly View Post
        Dr Tranny's Shudder Fixx should work well too if you just need the modifiers added...

can be found at most auto-parts stores.

Comment

I dont know the specifics behind that but I do know this (Its working for me) & its working for tons of others whom have reviewed it/used it IE - http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Shudde...ews/B0007ZDRVC see for yourself.

On a side note, alot of the reviews you see there? Are FORDS!

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by extortion00 View Post
            i went to pick this up today, and after reading the package it says not for use on ford transmissions..
            I believe they say - not to be used on OLDER Ford trannys - or CRT's. Check it out as the anti-shudder can be used on never Fords and even AOD's (even though they don't have the shudder issues the "newer" ones have).

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

not to be used on AOD or older non-clutch type torque converters. (C4/C6/AOD/FMX/etc)
              also not on CVTs either (which I think is what bob meant... I've never heard them referred to as CRT)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Correct! Got my letters screwed up! I wrote, to thje company, and IIRC they said it could be used on an AOD but nothing older than that.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

ok i just misunderstood.. plus the guy working there didn't think putting this in my 89 was a good idea. thanks

Comment

if an 89 is giving the "shudder" then it's not the trans, but a misfire. My 88 did the same thing, but it was due to original wires and old plugs. changed those out along with the cap and rotor and the issue went away.

a plain AOD does not have the shudder issue like the AODE/4R## transmissions.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks.
                      Last edited by extortion00; 08-24-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        if an 89 is giving the "shudder" then it's not the trans, but a misfire. My 88 did the same thing, but it was due to original wires and old plugs. changed those out along with the cap and rotor and the issue went away.

a plain AOD does not have the shudder issue like the AODE/4R## transmissions.
                        Correct as usual!! I used it in my '87 just for the extra friction reducing qualities. The other above mentioned tranys are the "problem ones"!!

Comment

i bought it anyways. i'll just put it in for kicks

Comment

Lubegard does have a friction reducer they say works in an AOD as opposed to the "shudder fix". I have used both with no negative issues but if ti makes you feel better I would go with the regular friction reducer.

Comment

A follow-up to thank everyone for suggestions. As it turns out, Gadget73 had a very good point. The longer I went, the more I paid attention to the fact that the car was not, in fact, running the way it should. The friction additive helped, but the bucking continued, and continued to get worse, particularly on cool mornings. As things deteriorated, the misfiring was felt in all gears, not just when the tranny went into lockup mode. New plugs, wires and coil packs later, it runs like new and there is absolutely zero hint of any transmission problem or shudder. And I have not even changed the fluid yet, wanting to wait until I got the engine sorted.

Comment

+1 always sort the engine first. misfires feel like trans shudder. BTDT

Comment

Working...
                                X