Digital Dash Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Dash Issues

On my friend's '96 GM, the digital dash has gone completely out. As soon as I can get to it, I will check any and all controlling fuses (any additional ones under the hood?). How is the dash lit up? One "tube" or multiple bulbs? If it is the panel, perhaps it is suffering from bad solder joints as I think this may have been made before lead-free solder. If I have to replace the panel, is it best to disconnect the shift indicator from the panel or from the steering column? How would it be done - bolt? Hook and cable? Never did one on this type of panel so not certain if it is the same as an analog one or not. Any other things to look out for?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Anyone???

Comment

Have you tried fiddlefucking the dimmer yet?
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Haven't yet but the dash is out completely so I doubt that is the issue. Good idea to try, however!

Comment

Hit it really hard with a hammer. The problem will be the spot with the large hole in it.

I think this is a VFD, never been in one but I doubt its one massive unit, probably one per section. Much cheaper to make that. If nothing works though and its not a lack of power getting to the connector, my guess is some internal fault in the power supply since thats probably shared.

probably easiest to remove the cable and clamp from the column.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Very strange thing happened today. Got a chance to take a quick look at my friend's car. Fuse 16 (15 amp) was blown. Replaced it and the dash smoked a little and it blew again. Just for grins, I have a few headlight switches and decided to give it a shot. Replaced it, new fuse and so far the dash works! Seems like all the functions and lights show, at the same time, so the IP is at least partially screwed but it basically functions (at least for the present). Time will tell but I do find this quite strange...

Comment

Working...
            X