No announcement yet.

Voltage ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you talkin about the power wire from alt to battery or the wires from the plug??? the plug that has like 3 wires comin from it and go somewhere. i have replace the power wire from the alt to fuse box, i ran 0-gauge wire and went straight to battery.
    2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
    Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
    20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
    In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

durr, 01, right, there still should be fuse links in it, though I think yours are actually right at the fuse box where the charge cable from the alternator connects. Its the fat cable from the alternator.

Oh, does the alt or batt light come on when you turn the key to on, with the engine not running? If the lamp is out, the alternator won't charge.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadget i didnt run a fuse and i ran to battery not fuse box. i ran a wire from battery to fuse box. i went ahead a bought new alt. and battery. i think it's fixed the voltage does drop still but not as much and it goes right back very little drop but i think that normal right????? i will be putting in fuse tomorrow. is there a fuse in that box for the charging????
        In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

The original system used fuse links at the fuse box for the charging system. They should have been good for 200-250 amps. Honestly I'd just use the stock charging system fusing and cable. Its heavy enough.

And the "big three" is related to grounding, battery to engine, battery to body, body to engine.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The original system used fuse links at the fuse box for the charging system. They should have been good for 200-250 amps. Honestly I'd just use the stock charging system fusing and cable. Its heavy enough.

And the "big three" is related to grounding, battery to engine, battery to body, body to engine.

Comment

i didnt run a new ground from the engine to body. you think i should???? since all the other grounds are ran with 0-gauge but i left the stock ground strap from firewall to engine alone. i fryed the e brake cable to the frame. i didnt wrap some garden hose around were i fryed it at. i am about to drive it around now and will see if new battery and alt fixed the problem. if you can think of anything else let me know. i not going to run a big system again i just running a 600 watt amp to my components thats good enough.
              In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

If you're cooking the parking brake cable, it sounds like its being used as a ground because some other ground connection is not doing it's job. Re-check your existing grounds, and upgrade the body to engine ground.

Comment

yea i cooked the e-brake cable when i shorted out the system. basicly a screw i used for the fuse holder was touching frame and power wire from isolator. the result was smoke and a cooked e-brake cable. the suprising thing was the fuses in power wire never blew. but the good news is i think it's fixed so yea my headache gone. i will install fuse in line from alt to battery annd run 0-gauge wire from body to engine tomorrow. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP. THIS FORUM IS COOL EVERYBODY HELPED AND DIDNT GIVE ME A BUNCH OF CRAP IN THE PROCESS
                  In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

ok i drove today and it seems to be somewhat fixed i was wondering how much everybody elses gauges move when blower on high and lights on when you hit brakes??? mine moves very slightly sometimes sometimes alittle more i still confused.
                    In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

the gauge on my 93 will drop when I hit the brakes with everything on. it's a normal load thing. as long as it doesn't drop more than an eighth of the normal range (or below ~13V with a working alternator and a gauge that actually has numbers), it should be fine. You'll have to run a high output (re: 200+ amp) alternator and at least 2 deep cycle batteries and beef up the wires to pretty much everything to keep the needle dead on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X