No announcement yet.

driver window motor 93 mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Slymer. I prolly won't fool with it again till the weekend, but I will definitely check that out.

Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

Thought I'd report back. Problem solved. Many thanks to sly. It wasn't the plastic gears that were messed up. The metal piece that sits down in the plastic gear, which separates the three teflon bushings on the one side of it, on the other side it provides a receptacle for the big splined metal gear. The receptacle for the splined gear was kinda chewed up, and I guess it was allowing the gear to slip or something. It was kinda hard
      to spot. The motor would turn strong when not connected to the regulator, but when put back together, would malfunction. It was when I cleaned a bit of grease off, that I saw where it was kinda chewed looking. Anyhow, went to the junk yard and got another motor for ten bucks. Worked like a charm. Thought about replacing the bushings in it, just to be on the safe side. Shoulda done it. Window quit working and I just got finished changing the bushings. So, all is well- for now. Thanks again Sly.

Don.

Comment

This is the reason why many of us put ball bearings in there instead of those bushings. The next time it fails... you replace the motor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, here I am again. This driver's side door is doing like it did before. Before, I replaced the bushings in the motor, and all was well for a couple days. Then, it started making this noise when the window reached the top or bottom of the track. Sounded(and felt) like it was trying to fight it's way out of the door. This is a different motor that has had the bushings replaced, all was well for a couple days or so. Now, when the window reaches the top or bottom of the track, and the motor is allowed to continue, it makes this loud thud, thud,thud, noise, like it's trying to beat it's way out of the door. Could it have something to do with the regulator?

Don.

Comment

sounds like the plastic hub in the regulator is chewed up and the gear is slipping. If you take the motor off the regulator again, turn the plastic section around on the regulator and inspect the teeth of that center gear. If it's chewed up, you'll need another regulator. This requires very careful drilling of the rivets that hold the glass to the regulator and replacing them with 1/4" bolts and lock washers. (much easier than the huge rivets needed for that)

The window will come out pretty easily once the outside dew wipe is off (acorn nut on the latch end of the door). Just angle up and lift out.

There may also be two rivets holding the bottom of the regulator to the door. The top is two washer-nuts.

If it's not the gear teeth... then it's probably the bushings compressing and allowing the motor to continue. This is why I put ball bearings (1/2 inch in the aeros/whales though 7/16 will work and allow a little play which may actually be better) and just pack it full of axle grease.
            Last edited by sly; 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X