'97 Aero Making "tick-tock" Sound Behind Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'97 Aero Making "tick-tock" Sound Behind Dash

I have a '97 Aero that's in pretty good condition. I haven't driven it much in the last few years. It's basically in storage. I start it every two weeks. Last time I started it, there was a loud "tick-tock" sound at roughly one-second intervals that seemed to be coming from directly behind the HVAC control area in the dash. It has never made this sound before. If I had to guess it almost sounds like a a vacuum diaphram cycling back and forth.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Also, on the same car, suddenly the rear air suspension is totally deflated and will not re-inflate. What should I look for?

Thanks for any assistance.

The tick tock sound is most likely the heater blend door motor. They are somewhat common for breaking and making this sound. Is your air suspension compressor working?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      The tick tock sound is most likely the heater blend door motor. They are somewhat common for breaking and making this sound. Is your air suspension compressor working?
      +1 on the BDM. Had that on my '95 till I replaced it and away with the "tick tock"!! How is your Heat/A/C????

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Its Chief Quimby with an exploding message for Inspector Gadget.

Or its the BDA. I think the Chief is more entertaining.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the help.

My air compressor does not seem to be running. Also, there is a message on the dash that says, "check air suspension."

I didn't notice if my HVAC is still working -- I was so thrown off by the tick-tock sound, that I forgot to check. I do know that it has been working up until I noticed the tick-tock sound, and I pushed all the buttons on the HVAC control to see if I could get the tick-tock sound to stop, but it did not. I will check to see if the HVAC is still working.

Comment

Make sure the air suspension over ride switch in the trunk is on. If it is, its possible there is an issue with fuse/relay or the pump needs to be serviced/replaced.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Has someone converted the car to coil springs? That would explain the light being on. Part of the conversion is unhooking something so the lamp isn't on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                Make sure the air suspension over ride switch in the trunk is on. If it is, its possible there is an issue with fuse/relay or the pump needs to be serviced/replaced.
                I will check that, but I do not think the over ride switch is on. The air compressor worked up until recently, then one day I noticed it was not working, but I have not even opened the trunk since then.

Come to think of it, I believe I remember that the "check air suspension" warning light started coming on before the compressor stopped working. Not sure what that would mean.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Has someone converted the car to coil springs? That would explain the light being on. Part of the conversion is unhooking something so the lamp isn't on.
                  No -- it is still original with the air springs still installed -- never been modified. The back end of the car is really low -- the air bags are deflated and will not re-inflate.

Comment

Working...
                  X