Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis Replacing window internals (Parts List?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis Replacing window internals (Parts List?)

Hi guys, been awhile since i been along, life has been very busy & hectic for sum few months back, do apologize for not stoppin in. I am in the process of moving after a month and a half battle of buying my very first home & as alot of you home owners know there is a never ending list of to do going on rite now as I pack, clean, move etc etc. Well upon cleaning, several trips from old house to new, I was leaving to call it a night of cleaning the new house & it was a cooler night so I decided to bring my windows up & POW! My window stopped moving, I can stil hear the motor as I always have but the window isnt moving, I hear like a clicking here & there upon trying to go up & down. So in short, I was wondering if I could obtain your knowledge of said issue & a parts list, website to purchase said parts wether it be the regulator itself, the lil' gears ive heard of goin bad in these models etc etc. Any and all help is very much appreciated as im going to do this project myself as im VERY low on funds to have it done at a shop due to the new house strappin me. Again, any help steering me in the rite direction as in a parts list would be wonderful aside from just goin to a dealer or auto parts store just to make several returns do to wrong parts, I know yall well round here & ya do a damn good job helpin the newbs like me find the rite stuff. Thank you in advance folks!

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

if you heard an audible pop... the window regulator probably popped (cable terminates in a plastic cage and that tends to break after 15-20 years). If it just stopped moving... the nylon plugs in the motor are probably brittle little chucks of crap now. replace the plugs with 7/16 ball bearings and budget the regulator just in case it goes out.

there are 3 torx bolts to get the window motor out and one phillips to get the gear cover off. clean out all the crap from the gear and slot the bearings in the center of the plastic gear. I typically put a little axle grease around the bearings to keep them from rusting and shove it all back together.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hi guys, I have same problems with windows on my 94 Marquis. Is it that easy to get at the motor and guides? I've had cars in the past, where it was impossible to get at these things. Any pics out there to see how it looks? Thanks, Ed

Comment

Originally posted by erp52 View Post
        Hi guys, I have same problems with windows on my 94 Marquis. Is it that easy to get at the motor and guides? I've had cars in the past, where it was impossible to get at these things. Any pics out there to see how it looks? Thanks, Ed
        Look it up on youtube, anything 92+ should show you how to replace or rebuild everything, mang.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

They're not hard to get to, they even put holes in the inner door skin for your socket to go thru. Something they left for you to do if you're a box owner.

Be careful removing the motor from the regulator, if that cable pulley comes out, (assuming it's not broken) you're pretty screwed. At least I was, that window still doesn't work. haha.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

It's either the little nylon plugs in the motor gear or the cable in the regulator is mangled/snapped. If it's the plugs you can replace them with 3 ball bearings or do like I did and use 3/8 (socket size) nylon nuts (quantity 6).

If it's the regulator just search grand marquis window regulator on Youtube on how to replace it.
            Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

You can buy replacement plugs. Dorman makes them. They're about 8 bucks. I believe those are there to allow slippage in case it's needed.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

The plugs are there in case your kid decides to roll the window up on their arm. The plugs will break before their arm will. If that's a concern use the Dorman plugs. The trade off is the Dorman plugs will fail in a year or so.
                Matt

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

The Dorman plugs are going strong almost three years later in the other car. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Ok. Now to take the panel cover off. Where do I start? Do I need a special tool to pry the panel off? Ed
                    Attached Files

Comment

No special tools needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	marquis door.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	1274220

Ok, so I pointed out the locations on your pic.

The places shown in red are philips screws.
                      The green spots are places you carefully pry with a flat screwdriver.

Once you have the screws out and the door handle cover and window switches loose from the door panel just lift straight up on the door panel to remove it. It just hooks to the door.

You might have to remove the trim panel from the window/lock switches to get it through the hole, but it's just held on with screws.
                      Matt

Comment

Thanks, 5.0 Bird, just what I needed to know. After I get the panel off, I hope I can find the trouble, and fix it myself. Ed

Comment

Ok. Got the panel off. I see the three star shaped bolts. But what are those three rivets next to them? Are they connected to the motor also? Inside, I see the cable. Just unscrew it? And do I have to prop up the window itself to prevent it from falling down? Sorry for all these questions. Ed
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok. Got the panel off. I see the three star shaped bolts. But what are those three rivets next to them? Are they connected to the motor also? Inside, I see the cable. Just unscrew it? And do I have to prop up the window itself to prevent it from falling down? Sorry for all these questions. Ed
                            Attached Files

Comment

If I had a nickel for every time that happened to my GMs I'd have 3 nickels. I almost envy the people with the older model GMs that still had crank windows. I think that actually got phased out starting with your '92 model. I had the same car, same color too. Only I jazzed it up with white walls and chrome trim. I had to replace the regulator all 3 times. All of which being different windows between 2 different cars. From what I've heard it's a pain in the ass to replace the part for a mechanic, not difficult just inconvenient, but nothing too bad. The part you are looking for can be found on Motorcraft.com . You're looking for part # 23208, 23209, 27008, or 27009 based on which window needs replacing. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X