Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ball bearings or nylon plugs in window motor on 94 Marquis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball bearings or nylon plugs in window motor on 94 Marquis?

Hi, Do the ball bearigs or nylon plugs go in that triangle space? Ed
    Attached Files

yup. in the corners and the metal gear has a smaller triangle shape that fits inside that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can get the nylon plugs from your local auto parts store, on the HELP! isle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120826-00009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1274532
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Thanks, guys, fits perfectly. Ed

Comment

I just did those in one motor, replaced a dead motor(dissected it later and the plugs were pulverized). I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and do the only untouched door window motor as PM.

Sent from the crapper
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

when I did one on my cars... I did them all... but I used ball bearings so I wouldn't be back in there... ever. Unless one died of course.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              when I did one on my cars... I did them all... but I used ball bearings so I wouldn't be back in there... ever. Unless one died of course.
              The problem with the ball bearings is they stress the plastic gear and the gear eventually cracks/breaks. nylon plugs are good for another 20 years.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Except in Texas where they fucking melt in the summer heat and deform and you have to replace them every year in the dead of summer in the frying heat. I'll take cracked plastic gears if it means I can delay the repair until cooler weather.

Comment

Replace with some round solid steel bar cut to the same size as the nylon plugs. No more fucking around with them after that. Just make sure you grease adequately. Also, don't get your arm/head/other body part stuck with the window going up because it ain't gonna stop! The nylon plugs were used as a safety feature and meant to sheer with enough resistance.
                  Last edited by LithiumCobalt; 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM.
                  Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                  Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                  Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                  Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                    Replace with some round solid steel bar cut to the same size as the nylon plugs. No more fucking around with them after that. Just make sure you grease adequately. Also, don't get your arm/head/other body part stuck with the window going up because it ain't gonna stop! The nylon plugs were used as a safety feature and meant to sheer with enough resistance.
                    but that would require actually finding said rod... and being able to cut it cleanly... and... more work.

I wish we could source 7/16dia x 7/16 long aluminum rod... but I have yet to find a source for that.

Comment

might have just found something that would work...
                      Bearings Online, shopping by VXB ball bearings the online bearing store and supplier, wholesale prices and same day shipping, next day air shipping available. The Ball Bearing Supplier & Distributor

and they're 77¢ each... so pretty light on the wallet for a set of 12 per car compared to the POS bushings that are supposed to go in there.

Comment

Working...
                      X