Disabling Traction Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling Traction Control?

Since I bought my 1994 Grand Marquis LS in early October, the Anti-lock light in the dash has always been on up until the last few weeks. I didn't even realize that my car had traction control until the Anti-lock light went off and the ABS started working again. Personally, I find traction control annoying and I would like to disable it. I just want to know the best or easiest way to disable traction control.
    sigpic 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Yozora" - 240,000+ miles, H-pipe with 14 inch glasspack mufflers (no tailpipes), 3.08 one wheel blender.

It's possible you have a dirty/bad wheel sensor. It is possible to by pass the TC assist on our cars, but it could be pretty simple to just fix the wheel sensor.

I had a similar issue with a dirty wheel sensor activating the light and I lost ABS, once it was clean, the light was off and no other issues were present.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The later ones have a switch, but apparently the earlier ones require you to pull a fuse or do other stuff. Here's some links:

http://www.cvpi.org/archives/p71inte.../wsdindex.html (look for Electronic Traction Assist towards the bottom)

Ok, so I've been searching around for some kind of mod to eliminate T.A. on a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls. Is there ANY possible way to eliminate T.A? - chip, cut wires, pull fuse...????

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Pull the fuse. That is the time tested way to do it. And it is a nice reversable way to disable it temporarily (or the entirety of my driving)

Comment

Thank you all for the info! I had figured that pulling the fuse was what I'd have to do, but I didn't know if there was another way to disable traction control or not.
          Now I can have a little more fun spinning donuts in the snow.
          sigpic 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Yozora" - 240,000+ miles, H-pipe with 14 inch glasspack mufflers (no tailpipes), 3.08 one wheel blender.

Comment

I think some of them you could add a switch somewhere to shut it off if you wanted to without killing the ABS, if you want the ABS to work. The other option is swapping the controller for one that does not have traction control.

Where the hell is John when you need him. he's the resident expert in this ABS system.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can live without ABS. The ABS in my GTP never worked and I survived just fine without it. Besides, I love it when all four wheels lock up - scares the crap out of anyone who dares to turn in front of me.

Comment

is there a switch in the glove box for the traction control? i thought by 94 they had a switch. maybe add one?
                on my 06 the switch is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, i really like it, and i like it so much that i want it and abs on the LSS.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ABS is for girlsssssss. Just kidding. They are for people who value their life. My Townie was the first car I owned with ABS. I kinda miss it.

Comment

I'm not a wheel-spinner, so I find the traction control to be useful for letting me know when the wheels are starting to spin so I can adjust accordingly. I also think it's useful for getting out of a slippery driveway when I've been too lazy to throw some salt down. I once tried disabling it and spinned the crap out of the wheels, and I didn't like the idea of having high RPM's and cooking rubber. Using some combination of a small shovel, some cat litter, and some road salt is the best way to avoid those situations. ABS kind of freaks me out when I go for a slide, but that's only at stop signs in my residential area before the salters have come by.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                      I'm not a wheel-spinner, so I find the traction control to be useful for letting me know when the wheels are starting to spin so I can adjust accordingly. I also think it's useful for getting out of a slippery driveway when I've been too lazy to throw some salt down. I once tried disabling it and spinned the crap out of the wheels, and I didn't like the idea of having high RPM's and cooking rubber. Using some combination of a small shovel, some cat litter, and some road salt is the best way to avoid those situations. ABS kind of freaks me out when I go for a slide, but that's only at stop signs in my residential area before the salters have come by.
                      I did find the traction control useful when I went through some two-tracks up north - helped me up a steep and icy hill. So, I'll keep the ABS fuse handy whenever I need it for going to and from school in extreme conditions, but for the most part, I'll have the TC disabled for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        is there a switch in the glove box for the traction control? i thought by 94 they had a switch. maybe add one?
                        on my 06 the switch is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, i really like it, and i like it so much that i want it and abs on the LSS.
                        I'm not sure if it has a switch there or not. I'll have to take a look there tonight when I can get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
                          ABS is for girlsssssss. Just kidding. They are for people who value their life. My Townie was the first car I owned with ABS. I kinda miss it.

Ya know, I say ABS is for girls and other things like that a lot and it seems to worry my mother.

Comment

ABS is a wonderful thing... it'll actually stop you when lock-ups will just skate you further down the road. Traction control just holds you back and can sometimes be a pain (like trying to get moving on ice), but overall it's good stuff.

Now fitting all that to the older cars... I would like to see that done and see how amazingly involved it is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ABS is great, there's a reason it's standard on just about everything sold now.
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                              X