X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, suddenly "warm" heat

1994 Grand Marquis

So I'm heading down (okay, RACING down the road against a turbo's v6, I'm
    A bad person about people that rev their engine wildly at me) the road yesterday, it's the dead of winter, heat is hot and the car is comfortable. When all of a sudden, the heat intensity drops drastically. So basically my heat is now barely "warm".

Plugged heater core?

Checked the inlet and outlet hoses at the firewall, the coolant hose going in is hot and the coolant hose coming out is near cold to the touch.

yeah, probably clogged. backflush it until it runs clean.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Is it automatic climate control? Have you tried different positions on the control?
      For example floor as opposed to dash vent as opposed to defrost?

Sly is probably correct but I would try this first.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The heater core was clean....Can run a hose through it both ways with clean clear water. Also, I do not have automatic climate control, and the heat is cold no matter what position the heat is set on.

My brother drove the car home today and pulled in to the driveway, my dad drained a small amount of fluid from the radiator, the fluid was ICE COLD despite the fact that the engine had to be warm by the time my brother got home. I am personally thinking a stuck wide open thermostat. I'm going to replace the thermostat and see what happens...

Comment

I do believe that your diagnosis is correct sir.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If the hoses aren't hot, failed thermostat is a solid bet.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The heat is burning hot after that thermostat replacement

Comment

Thank GOD for simple fixes - enjoy the heat!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                X