Poor Heat Output; Temp Gauge just in Normal Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Heat Output; Temp Gauge just in Normal Range

On my 1992 P74 with EATC, lately I haven't been getting much heat out of my defrost vents (or anywhere, for that matter).

Also, the water temperature gauge (digital) shows a few bars lower than where it normally sits in the seven-plus years I've owned the car. It's still in the nominally "normal" range but sitting more on the L or A now than the more-common M or R.

I have topped up and tested the coolant for strength. That hasn't seemed to help.

I'm wondering where's the first place I should have checked out, or what the most likely culprit may be.

Thanks.
    sigpic

Could the thermostat be sticking open? I would get an OEM thermostat and flush the system if it is due.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If it shows colder, a thermostat is a good bet. I'd be inclined to try that first.

Could also be the blend door actuator. What sort of shape does the coolant look to be in? If its nasty, a clogged heater core is possible. Backflushing it may get you going again. The blend door actuator is something of an SOB to do.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        If it shows colder, a thermostat is a good bet. I'd be inclined to try that first.

Could also be the blend door actuator. What sort of shape does the coolant look to be in? If its nasty, a clogged heater core is possible. Backflushing it may get you going again. The blend door actuator is something of an SOB to do.
        So I've read... my coolant is due for a flush and I going to go for that and a thermostat - much cheaper option!

Would the blend door actuator be an issue if all the controls are responding as normal? For ex. if I switch it to cold I get COLD, but turning it all the way to hot only gives me lukewarm. I can still clear my windshield, etc. but I'm definitely not boiling in the car either.
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm, try placing some cardboard infront of the radiator & see what that does. If it gets hotter, could be a thermostat issue!

I just fully blocked my radiator with some cardboard because my 88 never gets above the "A" on it's scale of "Normal" and takes forever to warm up. I'll have to cut a hole or two in it once temps go above 20 but damn, my heat gets good and toasty fast and under most driving conditions right now the temp never goes above the "R". Freeway at 80 mph? "O-N". Not sure what that equates to in real numbers but I wish I would've done this sooner.

My GF has an 89 and when her thermostat was stuck open the temp gauge never registered, even after driving on the freeway for 20+ minutes.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Hmm, try placing some cardboard infront of the radiator & see what that does. If it gets hotter, could be a thermostat issue!

I just fully blocked my radiator with some cardboard because my 88 never gets above the "A" on it's scale of "Normal" and takes forever to warm up. I'll have to cut a hole or two in it once temps go above 20 but damn, my heat gets good and toasty fast and under most driving conditions right now the temp never goes above the "R". Freeway at 80 mph? "O-N". Not sure what that equates to in real numbers but I wish I would've done this sooner.

My GF has an 89 and when her thermostat was stuck open the temp gauge never registered, even after driving on the freeway for 20+ minutes.
            Yeah, it's funny, with the lack of a grille on the '92 I haven't given much thought to blocking off the rad, but I appreciate the tip. I have it going in tomorrow for a check-up and will see what they say. As mentioned, I've had the vehicle for going-on 8 years, and the temperature gauge always sat at the same spot until recently.

That said, I have been slowly getting less and less heat out of the vents, and with some of these colder days in Saskatchewan you obviously keenly miss the nice and toasty heat a V8 will usually blast.
            Last edited by 86er; 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've got about a ten minute commute to work but even after letting it warm up for ten minutes it would just break into the normal range on most days. Now after that ten minute warm up the gauge is good 1/8" up from rest. What motivated me to stuff the cardboard in there was how hot her car would get now that its fixed and has a new thermostat. Gauge rides right in the middle of the Normal range like I'd expect any Ford to do except mine, so I'm guessing someone already dicked with mine.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If both hoses under the hood are hot.
                My bet would be the blend door actuator.
                If it even has one?

Comment

It has one. They started that nonsense in 1991.

The BDA only does temperature. If it will go to full cold but not full hot, its more likely either cold engine or a clogged core. The change in temperature gauge would make me inclined to hope for a thermostat rather than an excuse to tear into the dashboard.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    It has one. They started that nonsense in 1991.

The BDA only does temperature. If it will go to full cold but not full hot, its more likely either cold engine or a clogged core. The change in temperature gauge would make me inclined to hope for a thermostat rather than an excuse to tear into the dashboard.

OH DEFINITELY! I wouldn't tear into the dash unless I was certain it was the BDA. I just replaced one on a friends car and that was all
                    the fun I need for awhile. removing the thermostat should be easy. As for the clogged heater core, if I'm replacing that I think I would do the BDA while I'm at it as insurance. On my friends car it would start out hot and then go cold, maybe back to hot then cold again, but mostly cold. Both hoses were hot so I guessed it was the BDA, and I was right. So I didn't do all that work for nothing!

Comment

yeah, if I was in for either a BDA or a heater core, both would be done. Same work, not keen on doing it twice. I did two heater cores in my own car, F that noise.

Comment

I am so happy I opted to put in a new heater core this past November in my '86 GM Tudor!!
                        I was just BS-ing myself thinking I could get through a NY winter with no heat or defrost!!
                        Best nickle I ever spent!!

Comment

Had the thermostat changed and the temp. gauge is back in the middle where it used to be. Getting adequate heat now so will see how it goes.

My mechanic had some unorthodox advice for cleaning out a heater core: battery acid!

Thanks everyone: Occam's Razor...
                          Last edited by 86er; 02-23-2015, 04:52 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

eek, I'd be very concerned about that destroying the core. White vinegar is about as harsh as you want to get with that. It won't eat the metal up. Pretty sure its aluminum on the later ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X