Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

94 Grand Marquis....A/C Clutch or Compressor seized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 Grand Marquis....A/C Clutch or Compressor seized?

Hello everyone,

Owner of a 1994 Grand Marquis LS. Little over 200k on odometer.

Have a question about an A/C issue. While driving around town today I noticed a squealing/grinding sound coming from under the hood. This corresponded with a dramatic rise in A/C vent temperatures which immediately caused me to suspect a problem with the compressor.

Upon inspection, while car was still running I could see that the clutch plate on front of compressor was being pulled back by the magnetic force but not spinning, just stopped in place. It also appeared as if it was rubbing against the compressor pulley causing sparks to fly and friction smoke. I disconnected the electrical connector to the clutch and drove home.

Upon returning, I plugged it back in to see what would happen. This time, the clutch appeared to engage and the plate was spinning. However, while it was spinning a loud squealing/chirping noise could be heard and it wasn't but a moment later that the clutch plate stopped again, resulting in the sparks flying from the friction, etc.

After reading into this, I seem to be finding differing opinions on whether or not this is a bad clutch/clutch bearing? or seized bad compressor unit?

Based on my description, what does this sound like to you guys? Is there a way to determine if clutch is bad rather than the whole unit? Can any of this be done with the compressor still attached to the engine?

I'm from Tucson, AZ, and it's just starting to heat up pretty good around here so wanting to get this resolved asap. Just need to know what direction to take.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

sounds like the compressor seized. If it spins free with the AC clutch not engaged (unplugged), the bearing is fine. The bearing actually only works when the compressor is not operating. Once it engages, the bearing doesn't actually rotate anymore.

It is possible that the friction material on the clutch decided that its just flat worn out and its slipping but my money is on compressor rather than clutch.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Most likley the compressor is taking a crap, very common on early aero's, my 92's is dead as well.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I would strongly suggest buying a NEW compressor/clutch complete. I would not fool around with re manufactured or rebuilt. You live in a hot area. A/C is almost always being used. I used to live in the desert. Anything other than new just did not last very long and failed on the hottest days. It is quite a bit more expensive, however I think it is worth it.

Comment

my 93's original compressor finally seized 2 years ago. It's not hard to change, just awkward position being on the bottom. When/if you change it, be sure to flush the hell out of the rest of the system to get any bits from the compressor out of it. AC system flush and a compressor to use the air nozzle to blow it through the system. Of course, replace the orifice tube and big black can on the evap core and any of the lines if they look like they've been leaking around the crimped ends.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X