94 GM headlight problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 GM headlight problems

I'm working on a 94GM without running tail lamps but they do light up with brakes, flashers or turn signal.
    It was the headlight switch, had the wire that feeds power for the running lights burned and melted.
    (I've been told this is a common problem.)
    So I replaced the plug, made sure it was wired correctly.
    And replaced the headlight switch, twice just to be sure!

Now the headlights, turn signals and rear lights won't go off no matter what.
    So I pull off the small three wire plug behind the main plug on the headlight switch, and the lights go off.
    They not only go off but everything works as it should, including the flash to pass.
    What does this plug that I pulled off do? and what could have gone wrong?
    Everything except the rear running lights worked just fine before the fix!
    I've never seen this before!

Thanks for the help, I'm lost on this one.

Now I know that small three wire plug is the headlight switch connector.
    But what is connects or disconnects is still up for discussion?????.

Comment

The autolamp sensor, relay, or both are bad. Also, if you have keyless entry, the external lights will be on for a while initially. Wait for the entry light timeout and then check. If everything is still on, then pull the autolamp relay. If they go out... either the sensor amplifier (light sensor) or the relay is screwed. Also, make sure the headlight shaft is pushed in all the way (pull the knob off first if needed). The 3-wire connector connects the autolamp stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94GMautolamp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	1278424

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks sly! I would have never thought that was the autolamp plug, this will make the fix a lot easier.
        (the car does have keyless entry)
        Would you happen to know what the pigtail plug coming off the headlight switch is for?

Comment

Isn't the small 3 wire plug the control for the autolamp? In the old days, the ring behind the headlamp knob controlled how long the lights stayed on for after you shut the key off, and you could use it to switch off autolamp entirely. That function went through a smallish 3 wire pigtail hanging off the lamp switch.

You don't have something laying on top of the sensor do you? That would make it stay on.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The small round one is the delay control. The straight three is the power from the autolamp IIRC. I'll go look again and make sure. Pretty much the same setup in my 93 as well but with the circuit breaker on the fuse box.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              The small round one is the delay control. The straight three is the power from the autolamp IIRC. I'll go look again and make sure. Pretty much the same setup in my 93 as well but with the circuit breaker on the fuse box.
              yeah... the straight 3-pin is for the power to the autolamp relay. It's the pre-switched power that allows the autolamp to work. The delay control is the feed for the sensor that's powered off the same lead as the dimmed lights and instrument cluster.

Comment

I finally installed a new headlight switch and just left the autolamp unplugged.
                Thanks for all you're help, now when it's time to fix it right I'll know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                X