digital cluster wiring diagram needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digital cluster wiring diagram needed

Working on putting a '91 Towncar digidash in a '89 Grand Marquis, got the cluster and the buttons and every wiring connector with as much wire as I was able to pull. But there are lots of wires I have no idea where they go, some I can color-match to the box harness (Ford is fairly consistent in that, for example light-blue with red stripe is usually dimmable dash lights and light-green with red stripe is alternator key-on trigger), but there's still a bunch of them that go to God knows where.

Any kind soul out there who has an EVTM for a pre-'94 Towncar care to post the gauge cluster diagrams? Barring that, was digidash an option for the Grand Marquis of that vintage?
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    Working on putting a '91 Towncar digidash in a '89 Grand Marquis, got the cluster and the buttons and every wiring connector with as much wire as I was able to pull. But there are lots of wires I have no idea where they go, some I can color-match to the box harness (Ford is fairly consistent in that, for example light-blue with red stripe is usually dimmable dash lights and light-green with red stripe is alternator key-on trigger), but there's still a bunch of them that go to God knows where.

Any kind soul out there who has an EVTM for a pre-'94 Towncar care to post the gauge cluster diagrams? Barring that, was digidash an option for the Grand Marquis of that vintage?
    Yes. 1992 Grand Marquis and Crown Vics also had the digital Dash. Scott somewhere has an EVTM for a 92.

Comment

Never seen one, ever! The EVTM in question is from what I gather MIA, no one has seen it a looong while...
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

He also has the 93 evtm. It should be towards the top of the pile as it came to you on my visit after the wagon was delivered. I am pretty sure they did offer digi dash.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

My 93 EVTM doesn't even have a digital dash option for the Town Car. Just analog cluster. So I can't help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            He also has the 93 evtm. It should be towards the top of the pile as it came to you on my visit after the wagon was delivered. I am pretty sure they did offer digi dash.
            You would be correct, the EVTM in question has been located. No control modules of any sort for the CV and GMQ, I'd venture a guess the Townie is the same way.

Originally posted by sly View Post
            My 93 EVTM doesn't even have a digital dash option for the Town Car. Just analog cluster. So I can't help.
            The '93 EVTM has the digidash infor for the other Panthers tho, that should be good enough to ID the wires (most of them anyways) and match them to what's there now and what needs to be added.

Car's gonna need a new tank and sending unit too, can't located a sender off a digidash box Townie anywhere so can't cheat that way. Looks like upgrade time has come again.

Comment

ok... I don't have time ATM. I'll try to post later.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Oh, sorry about the confusion, I did find the '93 EVTM, it has the info I need in it. I was just saying why I thought it should work even tho it doesn't cover Townies.

Comment

On a 2nd thought this whole thread can be nixed now that it's no longer needed. I'll just post a new one with the conversion details in a few days when I'm done sorting the mess out and everything is running properly (assuming it is). Should be easier to find in the search for future use if the title is something more relevant as well

Comment

I was going to say to check out the stuff Drock96Marquis has posted on Panther clusters.
                    That's where I got my info for my '98-'02 P71 cluster swap in my '91 MGM.
                    Like you said, Ford kept many of the wire colors the same throughout the years so using info from the '93 EVTM should be close for the '91 TC cluster.

Oh, and no need to change the tank, just get a sending unit for an '89 TC and bypass the old style box antislosh/low fuel module.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Of the two yards I visited on this quest there were only 5 box Towncars, 4 had analog clusters (so the same sender as the factory one for the car I'm converting) and one was crushed with like 3-4 other random cars on top of it. I've already wasted two days running around, I need this done and over with, a new-style tank and pump/sender can be here next-day while I still work out the dash wiring mess.

Unless you mean the '89 Townie sender will work even if it's from an analog-dash car?

Comment

Well... if anyone needs it... http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/93CVdigiDash.pdf

Comment

Yeah, certainly good to have available for those without EVTMs.

Comment

Yeah, '89 TC sending unit with analog cluster will have the correct resistance range. I have one if you can't find one, but then there's shipping cost and all that.

Actually the early digidash TCs don't have the right resistance range. The range goes in the right direction but the upper end is something like 220ohms instead of 115ohms(?) That all '90+ Panther clusters (and '89 TC) use.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well, shit, if that's the case I got one of those here, just need to go fight some hornets and such to pull it.

So the '89-down Grand Marquis and Crown Vics have the right range but in the wrong direction, while the '89-up Townie analog or digital has both the right range AND direction and was just a year ahead of the changes with other two? Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                              X