Quick EATC question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick EATC question.

I've noticed lately in my 95 Crown Vic LX with EATC that the air flow coming out of the vents decreases, the longer I drive. From the sound of the Blower Motor, it is working as it should, and doesent decrease in speed, but sounds as if there is something blocking the air passages in the dash. Sometimes doing self diagnostics on the EATC unit will fix it, sometimes I will have to completely shut the car down, to solve the issue. Any advice on where to start looking for my vacuum issue?

To put the unit in self test mode:
    with the key in the on position (run or key on engine off not accessory), simultaneously push the off and floor buttons then within a couple of seconds press the Automatic button.
    I always use a page from Lincolns online to remember how to do the self test.

Sounds like it's being blocked? Or is the air coming out of the defrost vents when you wanted it to come out at the panel vents?

A common failure for EATC is o-rings not sealing in the vacuum actuator assembly. Over time the o-rings can become dry/hard and then no longer form a good seal. The system defaulting to defrost is the normal symptom.
    I've been told that this wasn't such a problem on the aeros but don't know that for sure. Unfortunately the actuators on the '02 and older assemblies is not easily serviceable like the '03 and newer assemblies. If you can cut and solder a few wires, and drill two mounting holes in the plastic back of the control unit housing, an '03 assembly can be easily be retrofitted.
    Replacement of the o-rings on '03 and newer assemblies is much easier. For that procedure there is a very good write up on mercurymarauder.net.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well I think I may have found it. After running max ac for a while, I think the door behind the glove box must get stuck part way open, the air from the vents is never redirected anywhere else, it just slowly tapers off, with the blower motor going the same speed. DTC come up 888, every once In a while I will get a 125, or 115. I'll drive it a while today and look more into this and update.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone know what this guy is?

Comment

Originally posted by txcntryboi23 View Post

Anyone know what this guy is?

Glove box dampener. It prevents the glove box from slamming down on its stops when opened. Later cars lost this item through decontenting.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Fancy. I found the problem. My ac compressor is running all the time, causing my lines to freeze up. I'm not an ac guy, nor will I try to be an ac guy. No more ac use until she sees the Doc.

Comment

if it's freezing up, it's either an almost clogged orifice tube or it's a little low on refrigerant. If the latter, you'll need seals and/or parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Probably the low pressure switch has shat itself. It should drop the compressor out before the evaporator freezes even if there are other problems.

Dirt in the evaporator is a fair bet too. Mine used to have problems with this, but after flushing the crud out of it with a hose some years ago it quit being stupid. Pull the blower motor and you can get some access into the evaporator through the hole. Won't give all of it, but its enough to know if its packed with crap.

Still though, the pressure switch should be cutting the compressor out before it ices up for any reason.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed. About a month ago I removed about a large coffee can of leafs and debris from the driver side windshield wiper tray, I can only imagine how much junk is behind the Blower motor, as the car sat up for 8 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X