Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What vehicle is the equivalent?

EDIT: 1991 Lincoln Town Car Executive

Suspension and brake wise it seems that this vehicle part's interchange with 92 cv and mgm, along with everything else besides the AOD transmission. Am I correct in assuming that I would be looking through the aero forum, for everything but transmission questions?
    Last edited by MyTowLinc; 02-16-2023, 01:08 PM.

In the future, you need to mention the vehicle you're talking about in each thread you start. Since you're fresh and I just read your other post about your car, I know what you're talking about, and yes, your assumptions are mostly correct. The suspension FAQ is in the box section though since that's pretty much the same from 79-97 for the rear and 79-02 for the front.
    Adding your vehicle to your signature (enabling viewing of signatures in your user settings helps with your own viewing too) will help others know what car you're talking about.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I will make sure to add my vehicle to the signiture list, and thank you for directing me to the correct forums. I am excited to see this project finished.

Comment

91 Townie is mechanically about the same as a 92-95 Vic. Through 3/92 the Vic and Grand Marq had an AOD too, but after that they all went AODE. 80-91 models all had the AOD.

Only other real difference is the rear air suspension on the Lincoln. There were Vics and Grand Marq with it, but it was an option. Air suspension is easy to deal with though. The super secret diagnostic tool is a bottle of soapy water and a kit of O rings. If it doesn't fix the problem, it will at least tell you where the leak is.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          91 Townie is mechanically about the same as a 92-95 Vic. Through 3/92 the Vic and Grand Marq had an AOD too, but after that they all went AODE. 80-91 models all had the AOD.

Only other real difference is the rear air suspension on the Lincoln. There were Vics and Grand Marq with it, but it was an option. Air suspension is easy to deal with though. The super secret diagnostic tool is a bottle of soapy water and a kit of O rings. If it doesn't fix the problem, it will at least tell you where the leak is.
          Thank you for all the info! I have heard controversial opinions regarding the aod and aode. Would a manual be borderline essential in your opinion for towing? I swapped the rear bags for Moog Springs from rock auto, and oddly enough today was thinking about heavy duty options. My concern for this project is reliability. The Rear Shocks are Gabriel Load Carrier, and front KYB gas-a-just. My next major project after finishing the headliner, and switch restomod, is to replace the complete front and back suspension, brakes have already been replaced.

Comment

For what the car is capable of, just put an auxiliary trans cooler in and enjoy. Keep it under 5K total with weight distributing hitch or 4K total and you shouldn't have issues. The real killer of the autos is heat. The additional trans cooler will solve that issue. OD doesn't care for towing stock. Getting the trans upgraded to the A+ server and OD band pretty much solves that as well. Manual would also solve that issue. My 93 with the AODE and a JMOD has no issues with pulling 3500#... it's the stopping since it's a utility trailer with no trailer brakes. It has a 23 plate trans cooler (designed for an E350) in addition to the radiator. Temps never exceed 160F on the return line. My Expedition gets that duty now though... it's just safer because wider tires and bigger brakes and more gravity pushing down those tires to the road.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

don't need a manual. My 86 with the AOD and the factory tow package I think is rated for 4500 lbs with the weight distributing hitch. The tow package is a small trans cooler, a loop of steel for a power steering cooler, a beefier drive shaft, 3.55 limited slip rear, and larger rear drums. The drive shaft frankly doesn't matter much and mine is actually gone. it was damaged and out of balance, now its got a standard one. The rear discs are the same as whats on your car, factory fronts were the same size you have. I have pulled two other Town Cars with mine. It wasn't a great experience, but it did work. The upgraded front brakes made that way less pucker-inducing but the AOD was just fine.

The biggest thing is to add a cooler and keep it out of overdrive. If its significant weight I would seriously consider trailer brakes too. 2+ tons of Lincoln + tow dolly behind a 2 ton car pushes in a scary way. Any aftermarket cooler you get is larger than the factory add-on piece too. Different rear gears may be advisable as well, especially with a lot of weight or if you live in the mountains. If your transmission is already ailing though, towing is just going to put it into an early grave.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Man I really appreciate all the advice and help Gadget73 & Sly.
                I intend on adding the transmission cooler, ASAP. The vehicle had "60,000" miles on it when I got it I guess 8 years ago! Transmission filter and fluid change is happening right after the interior goes back together. The Transmission seems to be in pretty good shape, but I guess I will see when I drop the pan. Honestly I am wondering if I should have the shift kit done at a shop, so that I can get an inspection and advice regarding it's condition.

Sly:
                This has been kind of my life long dream, to build a camper out, and full time boondock. I have thought about switching to an SUV or Truck, but I really like my car. I also plan on gutting the camper, and building it back up as light weight, and lacking of useless accessories. The only major weight in the camper, will be the battery system. I am wondering if I should upgrade to larger wheels and tires? The tires I find do not have the 5,000 weight capacity.

Gadget:
                I have heard that these transmissions like to blow out overdrive, and have always drove like a grandpa in it. Should I not use overdrive at all? Should I switch from the "guessing" 2.73 gears to the 3.55 gears? I kind of prefer to drive in low traffic areas, when I do not need to push my vehicle, but mpg is not as important as safety and reliability.

Comment

I doubt towing in overdrive is detrimental if it doesn't slip and is cooled properly. The thing that kills the OD is constantly is shifting in and out of OD under load. The sloppy stock shift timing and pressure screws up the OD eventually even behind stock engines if used hard, if the shift kit improves OD engagement & clamping, that's good.
                  Towing with 2.73 gears is probably too low to hold OD properly, depends on speed and weight. 3.55s on the other hand should tow pretty well in OD.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Arquemann:
                    I will definitely look into some 3.55 gears. I towed a small trailer with upwards of 800 lb load around town amazingly well, but never left 2nd probably. When I add the transmission cooler I plan on adding a temperature gauge.

Comment

The tires don't need a 2500 pound capacity each since they are only going to be rated for the car plus cargo and tongue weight. If you have a tire with a max inflation of 44/45 PSI, it should have the needed weight rating somewhere around 1300 pounds each IIRC. The 5000 pound rating comes from the towing weight of the trailer. The car only has to carry the tongue weight of a max of 500#. If what gadget says is true that the town cars are derated to 4500 pounds, then use that. I'm used to dealing with CV/MGM models. They were legally rated to 5000 pounds with the tow package up to 95 and then derated to 2000 pounds to sell more trucks from what I've read. The weight distributing hitch allows weight transfer up to the front axle and takes some load off the rear axle due to the spring forces involved in the weight distributing hitch. As with all towing, leaving a safety margin is good practice and max towing should never be done over the road. There's also conflicting information all over about what these cars are really capable of at this point, so I just go with max numbers since that's supposed to be the legal numbers that will be used if you get pulled over for some reason. At least that's my understanding. 3.55 gears are the gears that towing ratings are set for. 2.73 I think is for 2,000 pounds IIRC. 3.08 is common in Town Cars IIRC and would be the same rating.

Comment

The OD band is the weakest part of the trans. The owner's manual specifically says to not tow in overdrive, and I wouldn't second guess them on that. The shifting in and out definitely makes it worse but its a lot of stress on a not super robust part.

it might be 5k, I don't remember. Don't have the manual in front of me, but I do know that big number is only with a weight distributing hitch. Without one its a fair bit less since all of the weight is on the rear tires.

what are you planning to tow? If its just an 800 lb trailer I wouldn't get too concerned

Comment

Yeah, without a weight distributing hitch it's 400 pounds tongue weight and 4000 pound trailer max. Most I've towed was 3300-3500 pounds with my 93. I did use OD, but it was also flat land towing here in Texas. But as stated, the rule is no towing in OD, but I also have AAA and a bank account that can pay a trusted shop to fix the trans if I screw it up. I do keep it in D (3) until I'm at cruising speed when towing though.

Comment

To be honest when asking about how much I can tow. My actual question is how much can I tow relatively easily and comfortably.

On page 158 it says with 4.6L and class 1 hitch 2,000 lbs, and 5000 pound with a class 3 hitch. The column says ...your loaded trailer should weigh no more than...
                            I am confused why it does not state gvwr. I can take pictures if wanted.

I want to pull a travel trailer with a loaded weight of 3,500 maximum. I am hoping to accomplish this by gutting a 18-22 ft travel trailer, and then reinstalling the bare essentials. Like an incinerator toilet, will reduce black water tank weight, and water tank size.

I have a class 3 hitch from Rockauto, and pulled a small 4x8 trailer with a maybe 900 lb load very easy, and it was only in town.

I plan on having a trailer brake system, load leveling hitch, new suspension, shift kit and full once over of the car, before using this full time.

Well I don't know if it is just luck, but I had a strange experience in OD..... I went to accelerate and the engine rpm's increased, but my acceleration did not. I had the transmission filter fluid change done less than 15,000 miles ago. Problem didn't include any noise, excessive engine sound, clunkiness, and the issue resolved when I babied it. I have checked fluid and it is within paramater. I have the filter, any suggestions on brand? The ProjectFarm channel leads met to believe I should use walmart brand, and just do I few filter changes over the next year.
                            Last edited by MyTowLinc; 02-18-2023, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X