Coolant life, test strips etc. ? Help Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant life, test strips etc. ? Help Discussion

I flushed and filled the cooling systems in the Escape & TC 5yrs ago using Prestone 5 yr coolant and distilled water The miles I accumulated on each vehicle is pretty low. I can see the color of the coolant is not as vibrant as it was when I first changed it but it is still clean.

I am not anxious to find the necessary time to do another flush and fill.

So I am being tempted by the siren song of 4-way test strips. Of course I would use the refractometer as well.

According to the interweb 4 way strips test for Nitrite, Molybdate, Glycol and pH.

I Could also test coolant < .3-.4 volts at a fast idle. But I don't know if this is redundant given the strips and meter.

So are these reasonable methods to go for "extended" coolant life?

Or what should we all know here?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

The problem is usually in the bottom of the radiator or lower rad hose and that's the buildup of bacteria/sludge. The top can still look fine, but if you're seeing any tan colored film in the tank (other than what was already there) you may be dealing with some build up. I think some of those test strips test for that through the viability of the anti-corrosives still in the fluid. If those are low, the buildup happens faster IIRC. I know I've had to deal with that long term, but that was after 5-7 years in my high mileage cars. I typically have to change out the coolant within 5 years due to hose failures anyhow, but when it has gone a good 5-7 years, the bottom end was nasty.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I bought Wix 3-way strips. Nitrates, Temp, PH.

Both cars, Escape & TC, with normal 5 yr prestone tested the same. So I tested a new 50/50 mix of 5yr prestone and the results came out the same as the 5yr old coolant in the cars. PH of 7 and no Nitrates.
      I will do the voltage test at some point. Still got to test the other two. Pic of Escape vs fresh mix.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230515_172715[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	1388707
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230515_172752[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	1388708
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

that sounds promising

I need to change the coolant in the Mark VII. Don't know how old it is, but when I drained it because I was planning to do the AC evaporator I noticed it had some crusty stuff in there. Dumped it back in temporarily to actually confirm the problem 2 years ago and its still in there. Kind of looks like it was mixed with tap water type of deposit, but nothing too sketchy. Still don't need or want it in there.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All of my cars need a flush.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
          X