No announcement yet.

trans prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never been clear about the intermediat bands job! what exactly does it do?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
      i never been clear about the intermediat bands job! what exactly does it do?
      The intermediate band is used only for second gear. It is used in both manual second, and when shifting automatically into second gear. It holds the front drum (reverse/high clutch drum) stationary. With the forward clutch pack locked and the front drum held, the power flow is through the planet gears in the forward planet assembly to the sun gear which drives the output shaft. The sun gear is splined to the output shaft.

(edited)

Comment

I would find a good tranny shop and get it rebuilt. If the bands are going south it's only a matter of time until something really big goes south.
        2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

[quote="ButtSlappingPirate"]
          ( verify this with a manual, as I have two different trannies on the brain right now, the A4LD, and C4...)...

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
            Originally posted by ButtSlappingPirate
            Yes. Loosen up the nut, turn the stud inwards until it stops moving (don't force it, just until it stops), and then back the stud out 3 turns, and while holding the stud still, tighten the nut. Do the same on the other side, for the reverse band. ( verify this with a manual, as I have two different trannies on the brain right now, the A4LD, and C4...)...try that.
            By the book, tighten the intermediate band screw to 10- ft. lbs then back off 1 3/4 turns turns. Tighten the nut while holding the stud to 30 ft lbs. For the low/reverse band it is 10 ft/lbs then 3 turns back. The same 30 ft/lbs on the nut.
            Service recommendations are to use a new locknut on both band adjustments.
            Well, I guess I could just move my entire automotive library into my house, and just stack it up in front of my desk.... :coocoo:

Comment

Well, I guess I could just move my entire automotive library into my house, and just stack it up in front of my desk
              Keep your day job funny guy... :asshat:
              This is a tech forum. You expect someone else not to give more information on a subject if it is available after you give your best guess by memory?
              Take the chip off of your shoulder dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                Well, I guess I could just move my entire automotive library into my house, and just stack it up in front of my desk
                Keep your day job funny guy... :asshat:
                This is a tech forum. You expect someone else not to give more information on a subject if it is available after you give your best guess by memory?
                Take the chip off of your shoulder dude.
                Just make sure to let everyone know that what you are posting is NOT from memory.....

Comment

Just make sure to let everyone know that what you are posting is NOT from memory.....
                  WTF?
                  Follow the bouncing ball.........I said "By the book", not "If I recall correctly" Not that it matters.
                  Like I said......take the ship off of your shoulder dude

I invite you to follow the linky:

Comment

guys, if your gonna fight...take it to teh battlefield, the info supply is great, i thank you guys but, dont make a war of it!lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

guys, if your gonna fight...take it to teh battlefield, the info supply is great, i thank you guys but, dont make a war of it!lol
                      Like I said......follow the linky

Comment

Well, I took the bait...

Comment

Working...
                        X