• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did'nt know that the town cars had abs standard in 86

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

From what I've heard from numerous sources,86 WAS the 1st year of the roller block in ford panthers.

Comment

As it was in Mustangs as well.
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

I can physically vouch that 86 had roller engines.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
            As it was in Mustangs as well.
            '85 GT's got the roller cam I'm pretty sure.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
              Right, that's the reason I've seen stated that '85 is a desirable year for Mustangs. Last year for the carburetor, first year for roller camshaft. But I've never dissected one myself, and the one my '80s Mustang pal has is an '84.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I did'nt know that the town cars had abs standard in 86
                They didn't. My buddy had an 86 towny. Hell, I don't think it was standard till 90. I've seen 89's loaded without abs.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Yea no abs for boxes.
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
                    Yep, you are right, '85 was the first year roller, '86 was the first year EFI, DOH!!! Though I believe the 86-88 camshaft was the "best" HO camshaft, the '85 was different, as was 89-93.
                    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
                      Yep, you are right, '85 was the first year roller, '86 was the first year EFI, DOH!!! Though I believe the 86-88 camshaft was the "best" HO camshaft, the '85 was different, as was 89-93.
                      Interesting. According to some sources, they HO cam got a little better each year, at least until '93.

By the way, do you happen to have the before/after flow numbers for those ported GT40's?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

No ABS on Town Cars? Hmmm. That was only in one source so it could have been wrong. A factory brochure should mention it if it was available.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
                          Interesting. According to some sources, they HO cam got a little better each year, at least until '93.

By the way, do you happen to have the before/after flow numbers for those ported GT40's?
                          I don't have the flow sheet, but they have a weird flow bias, they are like ~240 intake and ~210 exhaust.

The HO camshaft got milder after 88 because it was too "noisy" apparently, so Ford "softened" it down.

Comment

Nice mang.
                            2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

I updated the History today with everything we've changed thus far. I'm not going to post it because it really hasn't changed enough for you to want to read it again. Highlights of todays changes include:
                              - Information about Lincolns getting ABS deleted
                              - Roller Cams and compatible blocks added in 1986
                              - CD Player information Added - not fully detailed out yet
                              - Added Jason_MarkVI's information
                              - Lengthend the wheelbase of the Town Coupe to 117.3in
                              - Two-tone paint extended to 1989

I got everything people posted I'm pretty sure.

I'm contacting the people at http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/ to see about using some of their material for the picture sections.

Email me any pics you have of any of the changes or unique items listed in the History. The bigger the better, and it's better to focus on the subject of the picture (i.e. for '79 clear corners, try to make that the focal point of the picture). If you've done noticeable modifications, try to keep them out of the picture as much as possible, I'd like for these to be factory appearing. If it's a big picture, I can crop what I need out of it. I don't care where you get them from at this point (don't steal others work though), I'll sort through it all later. I may start a new post asking for these pictures.

Thanks guys for all the input, the written part is about 99% done as it stands right now.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Do you want some good scans from my owners manual. It has a great drawing of the 79-87 Crown Vic dashes. I was reading my book to I noticed a cool feature. It says something about a garage door opener button on the visor?

Comment

Working...
                                X