This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
    The 2 on the C4 makes it start out in 2nd as well? Interesting.
    Yep, I have trouble with that on the C4 a lot of the time when I reach over to put it in Drive with my left hand and manage to get in in "2" instead of "D" and then wonder why it's accelerating even more slowly than usual. Reading this thread, I suddenly felt silly for not taking advantage of that this winter while starting out on ice.

My AOD downshifts to Second when you're driving and move the gear selector from "D" or "OD" to "1" and then downshifts again to First without touching the selector at all when your speed dips below about 20 or 25. As I recall, starting out in "1" it starts in First and stays there until you put it in "D" (overdrive lockout), and then you can put it back in "1" real quick to keep it from shifting to Third. As I understand it, the weird P-R-N-OD-D-1 shift pattern is to make the AOD work with the old P-R-N-D-2-1 pattern, and AODs really aren't intended to be shifted manually.

Maybe I'm not following the string of conversation quite correctly ... is the claim that in addition to my P-R-N-OD-D-1 shift pattern there are also AOD shift patterns that go P-R-N-OD-D-2 and will start out in Second?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
      Maybe I'm not following the string of conversation quite correctly ... is the claim that in addition to my P-R-N-OD-D-1 shift pattern there are also AOD shift patterns that go P-R-N-OD-D-2 and will start out in Second?
      Yup. The PRNODD2 was optional on police cars. The PRNODD1 was for everything else. And the pulling it down in 1 if you are over 20-25 works like you said. It even works on my AOD without second (the only way to get to second gear in it).
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes. And it doesn't just start out in second, it STAYS in second forever. That's the way mine is.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
          Yes. And it doesn't just start out in second, it STAYS in second forever. That's the way mine is.
          I thought your car had a C4 kickdown rod going to the VV carb?

Comment

I dunno what the rod is...it's the same as a CFI rod as far as I know. But when you put it in "2", there's no shifting that happens whatsoever. In Drive or Overdrive, it functions no differently than any other AOD.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I don't think I've heard of a "CFI rod" ... would something like my Haynes manual have info on that?

Comment

Umm...it's just what the CFI and carbureted cars used in lieu of a TV cable. Any '79-'85 or 351W panther should have one.

Comment

i love the sound of my merc when taking off in "2" since its like a load on the car...anyone want a FMX 3-speed?lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                    Umm...it's just what the CFI and carbureted cars used in lieu of a TV cable. Any '79-'85 or 351W panther should have one.
                    Interesting! Especially since in a retrofit, a rod seems like it could sometimes be more convenient than a cable. I guess it would make sense that the cable became necessary only because of the funky location of SEFI throttle bodies. And I didn't think I was going to learn anything today.

Comment

Interesting! Especially since in a retrofit, a rod seems like it could sometimes be more convenient than a cable. I guess it would make sense that the cable became necessary only because of the funky location of SEFI throttle bodies. And I didn't think I was going to learn anything today.
                      Wish I had a picture I could post...wait....maybe I do.

Ahh, here we are. Yes, I was too lazy to scale it down:

See the rod coming off the side of the carb there? That's teh CFI/carb replacement for a TV cable.

And you're right, a rod would be more convenient than a cable, but it doesn't work since the geometry gets screwed up. The advantage with this system is that when that bushing goes bad, it makes the tranny default to max TV pressure instead of min, so you won't explode your tranny when it falls off.

Comment

looks like someone has a broken gromet! ha, yup, the carbed cars that have the AODs use a rod!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                          looks like someone has a broken gromet! ha, yup, the carbed cars that have the AODs use a rod!
                          Yep, she's hanging on by a thread. Suppose I should do something about that.

Comment

Here's my rod (lol):

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

and your grommet is backwards, lol, i guess this is where i show my rod?lol

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                                and your grommet is backwards, lol, i guess this is where i show my rod?lol

Tell Ford, they put it that way. Apparently it works better that way, because it's the original and I've never messed with it!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X