Filler neck grommet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filler neck grommet

I need to replace the filler neck grommet on my 85 GM, any tips or how to's on doing it?

Or how long the job should take?

Comment

I did mine a couple years ago, it's not too bad. Shouldn't take more than half an hour if youre not faffing around like I was.
      You can unbolt the filler neck from the piece around the end of the pipe behind the fill door and slide the pipe out.
      Clean the parts and use grease or lube. The new grommet will be quite a tight fit around the fill neck.
      Can't remember if I put the grommet on the neck or on the tank first. Probably on the tank...
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

yeah its not that bad, the little screws holding the fill neck in can be a pain if they are rusty and the heads round off. While the neck is out, give it a cleaning so it doesn't fight you putting it back together. Oil will be your friend, almost anything that will dissolve in gas is fine. A wipe of motor oil wouldn't be a terrible option.

it goes in the tank if I remember right.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't forget the body side grommet. Most are rotten at this point leading to leaks in the quarter panel if driven in the rain. Part number f4zz-9008-a or d1az-9008-a.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I used petroleum jelly on the grommet when I did one. The hardest part was getting the old one out without getting crap in the tank... second was getting the seal to break from the filler neck. Kept just spinning in the tank. That was annoying.

While you have the filler neck out, check for rust/holes, patch clean and paint to help protect it. This is why mine took 2 hours.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X