Fuel pressure bleeding off overnight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pressure bleeding off overnight

On my 91 the fuel pressure seems to completely bleed off if it’s sitting overnight and won’t start again unless I give it a shot of starting fluid. 1 year old precision fuel pump. You guys think it could be the fuel pressure regulator?

Certainly possible. Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? Would be a good place to start and take it from there. Even though you have a recent fuel pump, they do go bad so that is still a possibility.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

they do not hold indefinitely. I've never had one that held pressure more than a couple of hours. The real question is how fast does it prime up? If it comes up to basically normal pressure during the 2 second pump prime when you first turn the key to 'on', thats not why it doesn't start.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
        Certainly possible. Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge? Would be a good place to start and take it from there. Even though you have a recent fuel pump, they do go bad so that is still a possibility.
        I have 35 lbs at the test port but it still won’t fire without starting fluid, it purrs like a kitten once you get it started

Comment

In doing my diag I found that it idles at 30lbs with the regulator connected to vacuum and it climbs to 40lbs when I unhook the vacuum and i found lean codes for both banks

Comment

Thats normal pressure

is your TPS good? If not it won't get fuel when cranking
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Update: the IAC was causing my initial hard to start issue but I could smell gas from the regulator diaphragm so I went ahead and pulled the plenum and did valve cover gaskets at the same time

Comment

Working...
              X