AC bracket differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC bracket differences?

So I was thinking again (not good for me obviously), if things play out so that I need a whole new engine to replace my 302, why not a 351...
    Only reason I could come up with other than the legality of it is the accessory system and brackets. That led me down a rabbit hole of looking up pics of the box AC brackets

So there's 3 different AC brackets?
    - a hen's teeth type of 351 bracket
    - and TWO types of 302 brackets?

I found pics of the Brown Blob's accessory system:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...08#post1111108
    And those AC brackets are different from mine. The front piece / tensioner mount and top mount piece for the AC compressor is two separate pieces here, where mine is a single piece of alu.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...04#post1234704

Anyways, I though of modifying the 302 ac bracket to fit, by all sense it'd just require "relocating" the bolt holes that attach the bottom portion of the bracket to the water pump and block. One might need a new hole drilled and others would most likely be floating in air, needing some extending.
    Unless someone is willing to sell and send a 351 ac bracket to Finland on the off chance I buy a 351... Preferably not costing an arm and a leg. I need both arms atleast.

These are just random ramblings, I was just intrigued that there are two versions of the functionally identical bracket, except however the coil mount is done.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

The two 302 brackets I don't honestly think matter very much. They look different from 86 onward, but the compressor was the same from 1980-88, and it changed for 89-92. The brackets from the FS6 to the FX10 (I think thats what the newer one is) didn't change though.

The 351 brackets are a little longer to account for the different distance from cylinder head to water pump. The deck on the 351 is higher so the brackets are different to allow for that. I used to have a set and honestly unless you put them next to the 302 brackets you probably wouldn't really notice it. Except for the "5.8" that is stamped into the upper part at least. Not impossible there are 2 different styles of this either, similar to the early v late 302 ones but its not something I've put any time into studying.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I feel like someone who is decent with welding aluminum could make a 302 bracket work on a 351. Sounds like clutch47 may have a lead on an old police car from what was posted in another thread. Who knows if it has the bracket or not or if the owner is willing to part with that part. Also the 79 and maybe some of the 80 used a GM-ish fridgidaire compressor and v-belts, so I don't think you want that depending on the year of the parts car.

Side note: the 89+ compressor is a 10PA17C.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
      X