Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the EEC IV automatically clear codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the EEC IV automatically clear codes?

I've tried searching for this but couldn't find my answer anywhere. I pulled codes on my stock '87 Lincoln TC awhile back to see if it had anything stored that might point me in the right direction for my odd high idle behavior. Yea, I still have that problem when the car is started. Anyways, I had codes for non functioning EGR. After going through that system, I found my vacuum solenoid was bad. Replaced it and now the system functions again. I can watch the EGR valve open and close when I play with the throttle.
    What I wonder is will the codes for the EGR automatically clear or do I have to disconnect the battery to clear it? I don't really want to totally clear it out with the car still having that cold start excessive high idle problem. I've been reading on the old fuel injection site that it may take longer to figure out my other "problem" if I do that, and that the computer could relearn run procedures that just mask those symptoms.

I don't know what I should do here. Maybe I should reset it. Idk... Now with the new EGR vaccumm solenoid I'm back to getting 20+ on the highway again, so it seems to be running pretty good.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

it has a stored code feature and they will sit there until you reset it. No need to pull the battery, can just interrupt the code scan and it will clear.

there are also different codes in these, basically active faults and stored codes. The first set you scan are active, it does those twice, then you get a code 10, then the stored codes.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X