Car 302 vs truck 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car 302 vs truck 302

What are all the differences between an 85 CFI 302 from a panther and a carb 302 from a pickup of the same year?

The long block, distributor, and coil is the same. Everything else is different IIRC The intake may be the same, but I remember the intake being taller on the trucks. The timing set should be all metal on the trucks instead of that part nylon crap that the panthers got. Both should be flat tappet cams with the same firing order. The long block should be exactly the same though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      The long block, distributor, and coil is the same. Everything else is different IIRC The intake may be the same, but I remember the intake being taller on the trucks. The timing set should be all metal on the trucks instead of that part nylon crap that the panthers got. Both should be flat tappet cams with the same firing order. The long block should be exactly the same though.
      don’t they have different heads on the trucks iirc?

Comment

I don't think so, at least not in 85. 86 deviated and panthers got their own and then in 87 it deviated again and the mustangs and trucks got the E7 heads IIRC while the panthers kept the E6 heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Probably both E5 heads, which are very similar to the E7 heads used on the HO engine. The car certainly would be an E5 at least.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

To put a mechanical fuel pump on a Cfi engine would you have to get a new timing cover or just punch out the blank on the spot where there’s bolt holes for a mechanical fuel pump? I’m looking to possibly use my 85 CFI engine to use in a truck project I have going on

Comment

If the timing cover doesn't have the clearance for the eccentric that the carb'd engines have, you'll need to clearance it or get a carb'd engine timing cover. You'd also have to get the eccentric that bolts to the cam gear that drives the mechanical pump if it doesn't already have one.

Comment

pretty sure its the same timing cover internal space. The one on my car is the original from the 88 Mark VII it came from. It has the mount on the side for the fuel pump, just it wasn't actually drilled through for the pump arm. The only thing bolted there is a retaining clip for the EFI fuel line. The EFI cars have a slinger thing where the eccentric goes on the front of the cam, but it needs the same amount of internal space the eccentric does.

Some of the trucks did use a different timing cover though, depends on the year. The standard rotation pump we use won't bolt up.

and yes I know the Fox cars use a reverse pump but the same timing cover as a Panther. No I don't understand it either.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X