Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 Town Car - Fuel Pump Relay, able to jump relay

I replaced all 3 relays...

I'm wondering whats the problem with my no start condition on my '86 Town Car. I am able to jump start the GREEN fuel pump relay by applying 12v to the ORANGE pin from the RED wire/pin. The car runs almost great, in need of a tune-up but driveable with the relay jumped.

I get .2-.3 volts at the Tan/Orange Wire w/ key turned (the one that goes to the test connector, then the ECU)??? How many volts is is supposed to be? The connector it kinda fkd up on the tan/orange also.

The BROWN ECU relay gets power at all the correct pins.

Is it the PIP sensor or the ECU from what I've been reading online? Or do you think its the connector? Can someone point me in the right direction on how to test?​
    Last edited by saiyaneye; 09-02-2023, 06:50 PM.

Here are some pictures of the beast

Comment

The ECU switches the ground side of the coil on the relay so it should never have voltage there, but be short to chassis ground. The relay needs 12V to the other pin on the coil side. Check that. We know the power through the relay is good since you can jump the relay and things work. If there's not 12V to drive the coil, that would be the circuit to check on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the ECM will do the 2 second prime when you first turn on the key. If it doesn't do that, it has nothing to do with the PIP signal. Thats either the ECM itself, or the wire from the fuel pump relay to the ECM is broken. Ohm check will tell you which it is, if the wire is good it has to be a problem with the ECM not grounding it.

PIP is ignition pulse from the distributor. If thats missing the ECM won't turn the pump on when cranking but it still does the prime cycle.

the other small wire should be +12v any time the key is on. That one comes from the ECM power relay.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bad ECM lead, going to attempt to solder a jumper wire or have a friend help me. I suck at soldering

Is there an alternative part number for....
          E6SF-12A650-E1C

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230920_151612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.0 KB ID:	1391748
          Last edited by saiyaneye; 09-20-2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Thank god for Google

E6SZ-12A650-EC

Exc.Calif.
            Stamped #E6SF12A650E1C
            Stamped #E6SF12A650E2B
            Stamped #E6SF12A650E1B
            Stamped #E6SF12A650E2C

Comment

just need the 3 digit program code off the label, but any 86-87 5.0 non-HO ECM ought to work. 88+ will also likely work but might give fault codes about no VSS input and do stupid things with the EGR as a result.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X