1988 CV MAP Vacuum Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 CV MAP Vacuum Line

Anybody know if this vacuum line can be removed and replaced without pulling the intake?
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

if you have really small hands and an extra joint or two between your elbow and wrist maybe, but for those of us built like normal humans, no. Just pop the upper loose and tilt it up enough for access, don't need to unbolt the throttle body and all that.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      if you have really small hands and an extra joint or two between your elbow and wrist maybe, but for those of us built like normal humans, no. Just pop the upper loose and tilt it up enough for access, don't need to unbolt the throttle body and all that.
      Bummer! Not gifted with small Japanese hands so will have to do as you say. Should probably replace all the vac hoses under there but not feeling that ambitious lately so he is lucky if I do this one. It is not broken but it is the original so somewhat "gummy".

Comment

When I did that on the 88 I had, I used fuel hose for the evap lines (off the front that leads to the purge valve and charcoal canister) and regular vacuum hose for the rest.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just not too enthused to remove intakes or even loosen it. Too bad you can't simply swap the line without performing this "un natural" act!

Comment

Its honestly not that hard of a job. I spent years hearing about how much work it is to do valve cover gaskets on these cars because the intake had to come off. First time I actually did it I thought "this is what people make all this noise about?"

hardest part if its not been off in decades are the small screws holding the 5.0 plate on. They are Torx, forget if its T15 or T20 but one of those. Make sure the screw head is cleaned out, use a screwdriver bit, and set it in there fully with a whack from a hammer before trying to get them loose otherwise its pretty much guaranteed to strip out.

there is a gasket in there, 50/50 if the intake comes off clean or rips the gasket. If you have a spare its more like 70/30 it will not, if you do not have a spare, 90% its going to rip.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X