Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transmission, torque converter, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission, torque converter, or what?

Finally get the car running, not puking fluid, nearly not leaking exhaust, and things are seeming good. Untill I decide to take a 4 mile trek up the road to get fuel. WHen I left the trans was shifting kinda sloppy, but I figured it was low on fluid. Get to the gas station, find I'm 1 pint low. Topped that off, and on the way back its actually shifting worse. OD is sloppy as hell, D seems OK, and 1 seems like I shifted it into some super high gear and causes the engine to lug badly. I get back to the marina, and it seems like the motor is dragging in gear badly. Shift into N, and it picks up but still seems like I'm slightly in gear. It does that for about 5 seconds or so, makes a fucked up ka-chink noise and the engine dies. Now it will crank for a few seconds, try and catch, then the starter can just about spin the motor over. Does it sound like my torque converter locked itself up, or do I need a whole trans.

Factors in the equation:
    this thing worked fine a week ago before I pulled the engine
    first service was at 125k, and the fluid was black. Currently at 129k.
    the car has been on fire since it last ran, and now the trans pan is black/sooty and the transmission mount is semi melted
    one of the cooler line fittings melted in the fire as well.

SOund like the internals heated up too much and shit the bed on me, or does anyone think I can get away with a torque converter?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

dont chance it........just replace both

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

sounds like your trans and torque converter are toast. You have to remove the trans to get the converter out anyway. Replace the converter and rebuild the trans.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
      X