country squire wagon and also can a 9" rear
    housing that converts late model mustangs
    from 8.8 to 9" type rear fit also.would the
    axles fit to

no, no, no, no
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Mustang 8.8 housing is a lot narrower, and the axles are way too short.

No 9" will directly swap in. You'd need to modify one to accept the coil springs and trailing arm mounts that the stock 8.8 has.

Any particular reason for wanting to change the rear? Gear swaps in the 8.8 aren't that big of a deal. You'd have a much easier time swapping the gear set out than customizing a 9" to fit in there.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is a little off topic, but there is a relevance: How good is an 8.8? By that I mean, what kind of power will a modified one support? How about a stock one (assuming 28 spline)? Was there a 31 spline 8.8 available, perhaps in pickups? I know they didn't come in cars (except some limos?).

You see, my Dad is an avid 9" Ford enthusiast. His exact words regarding the 8.8: "Those rears aren't worth a shit." I know, he can be ignorant, but alot of what he says has at least some truth. I know that a 9" has better pinion support, but in truth, is the 8.8 that much worse than a 9"? I'd appreciate if the folks in the know would shed some light on this.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

My biggest beef with the 8.8 is the fact that the inner race of the outer axle bearings is the axle itself. Seems like an awfully poor/cheap design, and it's been proven many times by all the ruined axles that have been pulled from 8.8 housings.

I've also heard of guys blowing them up in 5 speed converted panthers (Freshmeat being one of them), though those were stock rear ends as far as I know. I got a main girdle support and main bearing studs for mine when I did the gear swap, so if/when I do the 5 speed, hopefully it'll hang together.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
            My biggest beef with the 8.8 is the fact that the inner race of the outer axle bearings is the axle itself. Seems like an awfully poor/cheap design, and it's been proven many times by all the ruined axles that have been pulled from 8.8 housings.
            That's the typical setup for light-duty axles, but you can always find a suitably-sized full-floater and swap that in.

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
              can a mustang 8.8 rear end fit into my 1987
              country squire wagon and also can a 9" rear
              housing that converts late model mustangs
              from 8.8 to 9" type rear fit also.would the
              axles fit to

Nothing wrong with retaining a 8.8. You already own the housing and it fits. The ticket is to cut off the housing ends and weld on 9" style ends. This does 2 things. It eliminates your weak C-clips and allows you to use conventional axle bearings with their own races. You get aftermarket 31 or higher spline count axles and add a girdle style housing cover. You can do things like weld the tubes to the center housing also.
              Full floating axles are used on HD trucks and are not required for drag racing unless you are running 6.50 seconds or 210MPH in the 1/4 mile. Semi floating is the 9" design.

Comment

There are cars pushing well over 1000hp through an 8.8

a guy i know has a Fox coupe with a whippled 03 cobra motor pushing 660 to the wheels on slicks broke a completely stock 8.8, the rear end held fine with 550hp.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Was there a 31 spline 8.8 available, perhaps in pickups? I know they didn't come in cars (except some limos?).
                  You're on the right track. Explorers, Navajos, Mountaineers, F150s, Broncos, and Panther Limo's came with 31-Spline 8.8's.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Factory 8.8 31 spline axles still use C-clips and are sized up for vehicle and towing weight, not drag racing. They are no substitute for aftermarket axle upgrades.

Comment

rear end

the reason i asked about the mustang rear is my rear
                      has over 174,000 miles and around the center section theres a crack and i am looking for something
                      new.gotta put off getting a tranny till summer. ill have fix the rear first any place i should look for a rear for this car would help.

thanks

Comment

Well, any box panther rear will bolt right in. There are tons in the junkyards.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          You're on the right track. Explorers, Navajos, Mountaineers, F150s, Broncos, and Panther Limo's came with 31-Spline 8.8's.

Thanks for the clarification.

C clips suck. Ever seen an axle come out when someone is driving/ doing a burnout. Its funny, but it most definiotely would not be funny if it happened to me.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            Thanks for the clarification.

C clips suck. Ever seen an axle come out when someone is driving/ doing a burnout. Its funny, but it most definiotely would not be funny if it happened to me.
                            rear disc's will keep the axle in the car
                            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                              rear disc's will keep the axle in the car
                              they stop better too.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X