Elecrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elecrical

Hello my fellow GM ownerz and loverz. I need help. I have an 89 GM LS and i've been through an Optima Red Top and an Bosche battey that puts out 1000cc in the last 4 weeks now. I have an 2fared capacitor for my system so i know that can't be the case. Can someone pleaze tell me if its the alternator or bad battery wiring or what.

Visit your local autozone and get them to test the alternator for you. Also check the voltage with both the car running and not running. Off should be around 12-12.5v, running should be 13.5-14v if the charging system is working properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:stupid: and WELCOME!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Welcome!
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

sounds like your alternator is on the fritz.

and capacitors are ONLY good for short bursts of power draw. In a car audio system they actually aren't that effective because most music you would play on a nice set of subwoofers is a CONSTANT huge power draw...once the cap is empty it doesn't have time to recharge for the next bass hit. Basically your system is probaby pulling too hard on the alternator...how big is your system? If it's too big to be sustained by your factory electrical system then it might be actually harming your alternator and may be the cause of its demise.
          i\'m back bitches!

Comment

The alternators in these cars are kinda borderline from the start, running a massive system on them really wants a larger one. 100 amp will plug right in with zero mods, but its possible to upgrade to a 130 amp alternator with some modification. There was a thread on here a couple weeks ago about how to do it actually.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yeah i didn't even think about that part...but if you ahve a stock alternator on the car...its a 60-70 amp alternator...this just enough to run the car and not much else...so a niec system will strain the alternator to the point of burning it up or ruining it.

when i put my system in my car i had it in for a week on the stock alt. I have an Audiobahn dual channel d-class 1200-watt amp...that thing hogs power like no tomorrow. i did the 3G upgrade and added a 130-amp alt to the car and my light still dimmed a lot when the bass hit...the volt meter would go crazy too.
                i\'m back bitches!

Comment

Working...
                X