whats easier efi or carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
    ok i was looking at a comp cams kit on ebay its 369.99 it comes with alot and i have a 4 barrel intake and a carb off a ford truck
    That cam actually looks like it should work pretty well for as fat as it is. Keep in mind that there are cheaper cams that can offer comparable performance, and that things like lifters and timing set can be had separately for pretty cheap - Summit Racing flat-tappet lifters are $48 per set, springs can be had for $50 or $60 a set and not all require hardened retainers, and my double-roller timing chain was $25 at AutoZone.

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
    how much can i get a stall converter for
    Cheapest "stall" converter I know of is the B&M Torkmaster 2000. 2000rpm nominal stall speed (yours will vary per torque output) for about $150. Moving up to a 2400rpm nominal stall approximately doubles the price, which is why I bought a cam that works well with the lower stall speed (Crane 444211, hydraulic roller, narrow duration for big torque at low RPM).

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    e7 heads are the stock HO heads on 87+ mustangs and 88+ mark vii. they're not bad but not much better than what you have now. They do have smaller combustion chambers so you'd get some more compression. same valve as your current heads too. if you're gonna change the heads, i'd go with a gt40 or gt40p, they're much better for the effort involved. gt40p heads need specific headers but they work real well.
    E7s were also on 302 trucks from '87 (duh) through I think '94. GT40 heads ('93-'95 Mustang Cobra, 351W F150 Lightning, and '96 302 Explorer) are good, but are pricey compared to E7s, and it's easy to buy ported E7s that outflow a GT40 if you go somewhere like Thumper or call turbo's friend Gerry at BHP near Detroit. GT40P heads (F7ZZ, '97-up 302 Explorers) were Ford's best factory 302 head and can be a great performance value if you don't mind paying for "P-compatible" headers due to the unique spark plug angle that interferes with most 302 headers.

Say, Bowman, you any relation to member Scott Bowman (MrMarquis)?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well the reason i was looking at this kit is everything is matched to go with each other but i think i will use everything but the timing chain out of it i kinda want a noisey gear to gear
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

but i basically have everything i need i just need to know if i still need a new lokar tv cable because i haev the rod type would that work or not...
        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

You'll want to go with the Lokar setup. It's been established as a good working little item, and it's not horribly expensive. The rod could probably be made to work, but you'd have to make sure you got the geometry just right, and it'd be awfully easy to burn up the transmission in the process.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

do they sell those like at auto zone or o'rielys and how much are they usually

Comment

I got one on eBay...can't really remember what I paid. I don't think you could get one at an auto parts store, though you may be able to convince them to order it for you.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

yea ill ask but id prolly get it cheaper and easier on ebay lol

Comment

the cables look somewhat nicer too if you ask me. braided steel > fugly old metal rod.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

lol yea i just found some on ebay there like 55 bucks that aint that bad but i might try to be cheap and see what i can do wit the rod...and hopefully not ruin my tranny

Comment

I agree with Thain on this one...but a godo port job on E7s can be worthwhile at the same time..if you can find a set of those heads for dirt cheap and get it done for a reasonable price.
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

yea im gonna be lookin for those at the junk yard too lol

Comment

i found an offenhause 360 mid rise with a 650 cfm Holley carb. would that be good... and i was thinking about a 650 double pumper with the cam kit or would that be to much gas

Comment

I wanted EFI on my 82 vic, but there was no provisions for mounting a computer and I wasn't going to gack a hole in my firewall so carb it is. But if I had my druthers EFI FTW! Acronyms suck actually. I hate myself.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yea i was thinkin efi for a while but all the wires would have sucked lol... but does anyone know if that carb/intake would be good and would the double pumper be too much

Comment

Working...
                              X