Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill switch/Master switch?

I just had a random thought.

a couple people I know just had their cars stolen.
    remarkably, both in the same week.

so, I got to thinking...
    it would be nice to have a hidden switch in my car somewhere that did not allow the motor to fire if it wasn't clicked.

so, even if someone REALLY wanted Magna for some strange reason and was smart enough to hot-wire it, it would still not fire up.

so, I need some ideas as to what this kill switch/master switch could be and how to hook it up.

thanx for any input.

-Colin
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Id just take the steering wheel with me when I park it....and the coil wire....and switch off the ignition so it cant be turned over......I'd do it at the solenoid.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Like CD said, kill the ignition coil, it will sound to them like the car's engine is dead or something - not surprising for a car that old. Hide the switch behind the alternator, tis gonna be pretty concealed there in the rest of the wiring mess.

Comment

You got an electric fuel pump, hook up a kill switch to that. Or take the rotor out of the distributor.

Comment

A combination of Meanvic84's fuel cut-off and MLSC's ignition kill should slow down and frustrate would-be thieves.

Packman

Comment

i just take out fuse for fuel pump or igition
            s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
            "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
            "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
            ----outlaw josey wales
            (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Comment

those removable steering wheels will usually screw someone's gig up pretty well. Not many people are gonna take a car they can't steer.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Inertia switch in the trunk?
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Cut the wire for the MSD and run it to a switch in the car, and then back to the MSD. I have mine in a non-visible location.

Comment

When I parked my LTD at the Indy airport for a week, I put the distributor rotor in the glovebox, disconnected the battery, and I want to say I unplugged something too. Did something similar when I left the Mercury here in the driveway when we were out East for a week. You'd think the rotor trick would work pretty well with the Mallory distributor, and I definitely support the idea of a hidden kill switch, especially if the wiring can be camouflaged so it looks absent or unrelated.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I should do something like that for my car; seeing as I can't lock it.

Well, if I really wanted a car and it wouldn't start (due to one of these anti theft methods you guys have dreamed up), I personally would have another way to get it. All of your cars have no way to defend themselves against a 4000lb wheel lift.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I just remembered, a guy I used to know had a car with some sort of weird three-pronged key that he inserted into a socket under the dash before starting the car. One day he showed up with the ignition lock busted out and claimed that the weird key thing had kept the thieves from getting the car. I doubt that'd stop a serious car thief, though.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          I should do something like that for my car; seeing as I can't lock it.

Well, if I really wanted a car and it wouldn't start (due to one of these anti theft methods you guys have dreamed up), I personally would have another way to get it. All of your cars have no way to defend themselves against a 4000lb wheel lift.
                          massive steel eye bolt anchored into the concrete with a heavy steel chain wrapped around the engine cradle with steel pipe surrounding the chain, secured with a container lock.

a container lock is one of these. nearly 3 inches across and about 1 3/4" thick of hardened steel

if you used a wheel lift against something like this as soon as you pulled away the car would roll back off.

I was gonna do something similar for my atv. but instead of a concrete anchor have the hook welded to a 4"x8" 1/2" steel plate so it could not be rolled requiring the 300+# quad and the 400#+ steel plate to be lifted together
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

With a carb and aftermarket ignition, hotwiring is easy...No matter what kind of kill switch you have.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If they were ambitious enough they would carry one of those portable oxy/acetylene kits with them and cut any chains and/or locks that were holding them back. I know that's what I would do.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X