302 instead of a 351???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 instead of a 351???

Wow, after talking to my assistant manager Red, at my OTHER job (advance auto) he told me he'd sell me a NEW holley 600 for next to nothing...

This got me thinking about a 4bbl on my motor, but then later found hes got hookups with every yard in the area, including places that got HOs and Exploder motors....

What this means: I may be getting a complete exploder motor, for dirt cheap. I could slap the 4 bbl and intake on it, put a cam in it, with a mild stall converter, and go FAST for less than 1000 bucks...

Discuss.

Oh yeah, and if I do indeed get the WHOLE MOTOR, scott already has dibs on the upper and lower intake, sorry...

GMGT
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

if you can get a complete xploder motor, go for it. one of those hopped up in a box wouuld rawk :headbang:
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

It's a splendid idea! It would Def. save you time and money.

DO it!
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Ok, flame suite on but I've always liked the 302 over the 351. They just don't make the power I'd expect for that size of engine without lots of moolah. My buddy that works at the local machine shop says they have problems with them as well. The one in my bronco took a shit as well and it was rebuilt. I dunno, but I'm a fan of teh 302. Go for it.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

One big factor as well, is the fact that teh 302 will knock down 20 mpg...

Comment

Well if you go with the 302 and want to get rid of your 351 parts let me know.

Comment

Nah, cause eventually, im still gonna build a 408...

Besides, I only got one part you woulda wanted, and you already bought it! (oilpan)

Comment

I can always use more 351W parts! I've only got 5 351W's!!

Comment

right now i have 8 302's ........10 if u count the engies in the vic and towncar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've got two 302's, a 240, a 300, 5 351W's, a 351M, two 2.3L OHC and my junk 255. And don't get me started on transmissions!! I had a lot more engines but I stripped down and sold 19 of them for scrap. I've got a 10'x40' storage unit that's pretty much packed tight.

Comment

only thing I have not bolted into something is a 1600 cc VW air cooled mill.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only problems with 351's after rebuilds are rebuilders screwing up. If you are talking power, a 351 will easily spank a 302. Mileage however nearly always suffers with the larger cubes.
                        Rebuils costs are very little different for a 351 over a 302.

I am clearing out a pile of motors. From 289 to 351W, 351C/M and 400, 352 and 390, 429 and 460 parts & engines.

Comment

Working...
                        X