Torque spec for intake plenum bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque spec for intake plenum bolts?

strangely, my Haynes manual doesn't make mention of the intake plenum on the 5.0, or how much to torque down the bolts. I'll be removing it soon to tighten down the valve cover beneath it.

Does anyone know much torque they need?

thanks.
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

...when I say "they" in the last line, i mean the plenum bolts, not the covers.
    05 Crown Victoria
    88 Grand Marquis

Comment

I don't have a torque wrench so I never torqued my intake bolts. I just ran them up with a socket wrench. Don't go by me with this but what's the torque specs on exhaust manifold bolts?

Comment

its probably about 20-25 ft/lb. My manuals are older, but the lower manifold uses the same size bolts, and they're 20-25. If you're taking the upper off, I'd just replace the valve cover gaskets. Tightening them probably isn't going to do much if they are leaking. Also, you can get in there to tighten them if you do need to without removing the upper manifold.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, i think you're right about the cover gaskets. they're probably too far gone for tightening only.

thanks for the spec.
          05 Crown Victoria
          88 Grand Marquis

Comment

The upper intake plenum torque specs are 12-18. You are just sealing air and you are screwing into aluminum. Do not over tighten. The lower bolts are 23-25 officially, but you can pull the heads off of the block by over tightening them. Sticking to the low side is a good ideal...

Comment

thank you!
              05 Crown Victoria
              88 Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
              X