power steering pump Question's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering pump Question's

Ok just found out My power steering pump is leaking it is the original one. I have 2 questions can the cold make the seals on the pump dry out? it was in the single digits in mi this past weekend. can the shaft seal the one behind the pulley be replaced? or should I get a new pump? How much are they? thanks mangs

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

the rubber could shrink in the cold, but if it shrunk enough to leak, its probably toast. The seal is replaceable but its probably as much or more work to actually do it vs replacing the whole pump. If its the original pump, its had a good life.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thain are there two different high pressure hoses? since mines a towing pk car? yeah my pump is the original

Comment

no, high pressure line is the same. the low pressure stuff is different, but its just bulk hosse.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

X2 on what Thain said...
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

my cars all have original p/s pumps in them... only leaks from them are at the fittings. one of these days i will pull them off, clean them, and seal them back on.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Consider yourself lucky, my bitch leaks at the shaft too, but only when engine runs. i actually extended the reservoir with some clear silicone hose so I can fill it up easier and not as often.

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                Ok just found out My power steering pump is leaking it is the original one. I have 2 questions can the cold make the seals on the pump dry out? it was in the single digits in mi this past weekend. can the shaft seal the one behind the pulley be replaced? or should I get a new pump? How much are they? thanks mangs
                Just get a reman pump. Check out VatoZone $44.99. $36.99 w/o the reservoir.
                Last edited by Mercracer; 01-25-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I got the pump I just forgot to get the puller tools lol

Comment

The best bet is to bring your old pump in for the core and switch them over right there in the parts store. That way you turn 2 trips into 1.

Comment

you'll have to take the bracket with you if you do that, but its only a couple bolts. alternator comes off, then i think there are 2 bolts through the top of it into the head, and 3 nuts on the water pump or something. good excuse to clean up that bracket anyway, usually they're nasty.

Comment

and if the Panther pump is anything like the Bronco/F-series pump there's a new model Saginawesome pump that bolts right in and solves all yer problems for good.

Comment

Saginaw? Isn't that the GM PS stuff?

Comment

yeps, truck guys love it cause unlike the plastic-tank stocker tis pretty strong and also has no retarded leaks between the tank and the rest. Normally some fabrication is involved so it lines up with on a Ford engine, but A1 now makes Saginaw pumps with the Ford bracketry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                              The best bet is to bring your old pump in for the core and switch them over right there in the parts store. That way you turn 2 trips into 1.
                              I like that idea. Also help prevent the problem I ran into (paint in the hole on the pulley ==> can't reinstall pulley).
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X