Door Lightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMGT...

I agree, you would have to seriously weaken the door in order to lighten it enough to make much of an improvement. You would be suprised how much of the weight is from the window. I once had an elcamino with a similar size door. When I bought it, the drivers window was busted. Instead of buying a window for $$$$$$$$ I went to the junkyard and bought a whole door for $50. THe old door I took off I could carry around with one arm. The one with the glass in it was a LOT heavier. I had to get help to put it on. LOL Alternatively, if your going to experiment with it, I would at least suggest grabbing a door off of a junkyard car and then whip out your trusty hacksaw.

I also made a post in your "grrrr hinge pins" thread, that you never replied to. So, I am assuming you haven't read it yet and will repost it.

I once worked with a guy who had similar complaints with his late 70's early 80's camaro. (who did in fact have a mullet) One day he came into work, parked next to me and got out with a smooth click...............................thunk. instead of the usual click SCHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeCH ! (door opening) SCHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeCH! (door cloosing) BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... BANG!.......... WHAMM! @#$^$%^#$%^@$%^$^%!#@~@ (him lifting and slammind door repeadly in a valliant but vain attempt to make it latch right. )

I asked him bout it, and he showed me his final (hopefully) solution.

He had added an extra hinge between the origionals.

My vote is, grab a new hinge if available, rebuild your origional, and then fab something up.

Bryan.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Thanks bryan...

well, today, were gonna put new bushings and pins in it, and see how it does..
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Just one more tip from a guy who has done this before

grab a tube of loc-tite, the kind that isn't supposed to come loose.

Get an extra set of pins and bushings in case you break one of the bushings, you dont have to go back to the store. (you can return the extra's later)

Also try to find out what size whole the bushing fits in. I have had to use some larger ones because the whole in the hinge was enlongated. (former owner kept using it even after the bushing crumbled and fell out!) I had to drill out the whole and use a larger bushing. I didnt get the whole quite big enough at first and damaged a bushing trying to "press" it in. (block of wood and a hammer ) On another one I just popped everything together, and the bushing wouldn't stay in. A little bit of loctite saved the day.

All in all it is an easy job if you have someone there to help you hold the door.

Bryan
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27