Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swaping engines

Greeting from the far north.
    I have a 84 Grand Marquise with a 351L engine that has passed away. What I would like to find out is can I install a 302?

i dont see why not, sinc eits carbed you have the ability to swap around engines and the 351 and 302 are the same engine family so you can swap them around.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

you will need a different AC bracket at the minimum. Shouldn't be too difficult of a swap, most go 302 to a 351W though.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

swapping engines

Thats what I thought as well from the research that I 've done. I had one mech tell me it couldn't be done but I think for some reason he thought I had a cleveland. He also mentioed something about the elec. bundle from the carb (slide carb) to the tranny and that was an issue as well.

Comment

The alternator bracket also may be different. The 302 bracket works on a 351, but the 351 did have a very slightly different bracket. Not entirely sure if it will work on a 302. Electrical shouldn't be any real issue, the parts are in basically the same location on a 302. You'll need to get the right intake manifold. The 351 manifold will not fit the 302. The exhaust up front is probably also different due to the 351's taller and wider engine size.

In short, definitely possible. If you can get another 351 to stuff in there, it would be a bit easier though.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I may be wrong but I believe you will need a different distributer because the deck heights
            are different as well as the oil pump drive shafts are not the same size.
            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
            sigpic

Comment

I have a lead on a couple of mid 80s and a 1990 grand marquis and I'm hoping to find out on the weekend if any have a 5.8L. With any luck I can do a straight switch. The lady that owns them isn't sure whats under the hoods.
              I can't wait to get the baby on the road again!

Comment

Originally posted by rivet97 View Post
                Greeting from the far north.
                I have a 84 Grand Marquise with a 351L engine that has passed away. What I would like to find out is can I install a 302?
                Differences include but are not all inclusive...... Oil Pan, Dampener, flexplate, distributor, brackets, intake, exhaust, etc......

Originally posted by rivet97 View Post
                I have a lead on a couple of mid 80s and a 1990 grand marquis and I'm hoping to find out on the weekend if any have a 5.8L. With any luck I can do a straight switch. The lady that owns them isn't sure whats under the hoods.
                I can't wait to get the baby on the road again!

5.8 to 5.8 would be your best bet....

Comment

Very much apppreciate the info, and I agree 5.8 would be the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X