Intake Manifold Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manifold Part II

I started a new thread for this, because I have a new question, and my other thread is dead.

My question is: If I elminate the EGR system on my car (in its entirety), will I have a better chance of failing my emissions test? I am NOT concerned with the visual inspection for EGR equipment; I am concrened with whether or not my car will pass the sniffer without EGR. I know EGR is effective at reducing NOx, but can a well tuned engine (originally equipped with EGR) pass emissions without it?

I was originally going to go with Edelbrock 3783, and call this done. But my investigation into the effectiveness of that manifold has left me disspointed. I have read that it doesn't provide any gains over a factory 351W HO intake (which I've also been told by Scott and Mercracer).

Performance wise, would I be better off with a regular (non EGR) Weiand Stealth, or should I stick with a Perfomer/ EGR Performer manifold? I plan to supplement my 4 bbl swap with a full exhaust (with headers), and a gear swap. I would like to leave the cam I have, just because I'm not really into tearing down the engine that far to change it.

My feeling is that the Stealth, which has a higher profile, may cause me to have some hood clearance issues.

My final question is this: Are there internal differences between the Performer (2181), and the Performer EGR (3783)? I have visually inspected them (from pictures and dimensions), and I know that the 3783 is shorter (due to the necessity of an EGR plate) by about a half inch. That has to mean that there are some differences. The 3783 also has a rear crossover, and the main vac port is in a different location.

I hate to be a pain in the ass, but I want to do what will be most effective.

I have been unable to locate a good decsription of exactly how EGR works on a carbed car. I was wondering if I could buy a regular intake and modify it to work with the EGR. Has anyone ever done that, or heard of it? I have a plate with the valve.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Do you get an idle emissions test, or a dyno emissions test? If its an idle test, the egr does absolutely nothing so its not going to matter. If you get a dyno test, theres a pretty good chance you will not pass without working EGR. I know EFI motors with bad egr valves or clogged passages will usually fail NOx.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ill go digging again But i think I have a 4 barrel egr plate thatll bolt on a regular intake somewhere. Maybe that will solve your problem, only run it for emissions?
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I have to do the dyno test. From what Gadget says, I will most certainly need to retain an operational EGR. I guess I'll be going with the Edelbrock 3783.

Southern Pride: I have the EGR plate from an '83 Capri, and the valve. It will work with the carb, and the manifold (3783), that I'm going to use. I appreciate the offer though.

In case anyone else is interested, it is possible to convert a non EGR intake to EGR. I found a link :http://www.flemworld.com/Hto/351w.html, that details it (bottom of the page). I think it'd be hard to do and have it look good though. That and the possibility of a vacuum leak makes it unattractive to me. I'll just go with the Edel. 3783.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
        X